Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 24-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Jon-o

This game uses D&D rules, not AD&D, unless I'm quite mistaken (the manual shows "Dungeons and Dragons Computer Game" prominently on the cover, without an 'Advanced' anywhere.

The sound is very choppy for me... using dosbox on linux. I'll try tweaking the settings a little, but has anyone else had any success?

Old 24-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon-o@Sep 24 2005, 05:11 PM
This game uses D&D rules, not AD&D, unless I'm quite mistaken (the manual shows "Dungeons and Dragons Computer Game" prominently on the cover, without an 'Advanced' anywhere.

The sound is very choppy for me... using dosbox on linux. I'll try tweaking the settings a little, but has anyone else had any success?
Hmm.. I turned frame skip up a tiny bit, and it cleared up the sound without any noticeable effect to the graphics. Seems all is well now.

Old 24-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #4

Curiously enough I think "elf" used to be considered a class all by itself way back in the day. So maybe it is accurate after all?

Never heard of this game but I'm going to have the give it a try. From the description it kind of reminds me of one of my favorite strategy/sim/rpg games, Majesty.

Old 24-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
BLOODUK
Game freak

AWSOME game
BLOODUK is offline                         Send a private message to BLOODUK
Old 24-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #6

Yup, it's the "classic" D&D ruleset, that was thought of quite a time back before it became "advanced". I still have a copy of the "Baisc Rules" lying around in my Pen&Paper shelf and a quick look-up shows that Elves back in the day were a mix of fighters and wizards, halflings were by default a weak warrior with a little bit of thief thrown in and dwarves were fighters with a touch of cleric added. Only "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" introduced the distinction between races and classes, next to a slew of more or less working rules add-ons :-)

Old 25-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Shatari

I loved this game when I was a kid. I still play it from time to time. Too bad it didn't have multiplay. I wish they would remake it...

Old 25-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
axm

A real good classic, at least top 5 for me. I hoped for a remake when the new Stronghold came out, but instead was disappointed by a boring game. So I don't think there will be a remake at all...

A pity, because there are some major flaws in the controls, if you want good building you have a lot of micromanagement to do. For the sound, it runs fine in Windows XP without dosbox for me, usually crashing at the first startup, but the second always succeeds.

PS: Ok, no solution for linux, I admit :/

Old 26-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

Hi,
One of my alltime favourites, altough it is a bit easy and repetitive. The stone-gazing creatures are a pain. Take them out as fast as you can .

For a truly hilarious time, train up a bunch of clerics and waylay a vampire. The clerics will kick the muck out of him, but they'll never be able to kill him as the vampire is immune to blunt weapons :w00t:
The clerics will rack up levels at a tremendous rate and the vampire will be unable to defend himself as there is always some uberninja-cleric beating his head in.

Elfs are useful as they have range and are pretty deadly, and their tree farms are quite lucrative, but they reproduce really slowly, so don't spend them all at once.

Wizards are expensive to make powerfull, but then they kick anybody's behind with their ranged magic attacks.

Clerics are essential to cure disease and so on and trashing vampires and other undead k: Mix some wizards in for best results.

Dwarfs are usefull, being quite magic resistant and tough fighters, and they are also lucrative, especially the mines, which don't last very long tough.

Humans are your cannon fodder. Use them to keep your enemies busy, as they reproduce like rabbits.

I always try to create a nice laid out multi-ethnic city. It looks pretty cool too. You can have some really cool battles with the nastier monsters.

Cheers,
Lodewijk
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr
Old 27-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #10
Todbog
Forum hobbit

This was a welcome change from most of the D&D titles that were available at the time. This was at the tail end of my old Pentium 100mHz computer, when the only games I could play were about a year past their prime.

Anyways, I received this game as part of a D&D four pack, that also had the game Fantasy Empires, Dungeon Hack, and Unlimited Adventures (a make your own Gold Box toolkit). It was sold as "Fantasy Fest!" and provided countless hours of fun. Fantasy Empires was actually hotseat multiplayable, with real time combat on a shared keyboard. That was probably my most played game in the set.

Stronghold itself was a unique experience and there was some fun to be had building up my little areas but it lacked the drive towards a greater goal so I soon moved on to other games. There is a more recent game, Majesty, that took a similar approach to real time strategy as well as I can remember anyways. It has been awhile since I last booted up Stronghold. :bleh:
Todbog is offline                         Send a private message to Todbog