Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-07-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Well ive played them both, and I must say I enjoy them both! Each are a slightly diffrent experience.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 16-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Can someone please explain to me how HOMM4 is different from the other in the series. With some examples please.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 16-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

This has been discussed before
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 20-07-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

As a stand-alone game, H4 is good, but when you begin comparing it with H3, it's quickly obvious why it was a failure.Maybe H5 could revive the series, but somehow i doubt that, even though it's being made by Nival, of Rage of Mages fame most notably
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 02-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Jul 16 2005, 12:57 PM
Can someone please explain to me how HOMM4 is different from the other in the series.* With some examples please.*
To sum up my own opinion of the game:
+You get to send your heroes into battle, which also gives you the possibility to slay enemy heroes. (will usually cripple the opposing armys strenghts.)
+The new battlefield allows more tactic to be used. like the quicksand spell which can allow you to create a great big detour for any land-based creatures.) HoMM3,s battlefield seemed somewhat small in comparison.
+Looks somewhat better.
+You can choose what second, third and fourth level creature you wish to play each time you start a game, making it possible to command different creatures that utilise different strategies.
-The campaigns are to some degree ruined. I,ve noticed that the Nature campaign f.e has been totally overbalanced giving the enemy to many advantages and you get stuck early in the campaign. I just had to quit trying, it was hopeless.
-does not give you the Heroes feeling that you get from the first three games.
-Creatures does no longer have the possibility to be upgraded.

A couple of good +\- points to keep in mind.
Argith Nuei is offline                         Send a private message to Argith Nuei
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

HOMM 4 wasn't that bad. It was just different from the rest of the series by making heroes a real army and not just an invisible booster. The problem (for me) was that in chosing that new direction they fell way behind Age of Wonders 2 which is superior to HOMM 4 in every way. Even if i am an early gamer (i played king's bounty and every Heroes game after, and loved them all) and had a sentimental attachment to the Heroes series, i still can recognize a good game when i see one. Age of Wonders (1 and 2) borrowed heavily from lots of games (MoM, Heroes, Warlords) but became superior to each and every one of them. Heroes 4 compares really poorly to AoW 2. So if you want to play "stand alone" heroes who don't need an army to fight, play AoW 2. :Titan:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #17
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thanks for the info guys.

If I remember correctly Age of Wonders was in development for like 89 years and after it was released people were saying how it borrowed from HOMM, but the developers kept saying that it was the other way arround (or something like that) and that they did not borrow anything from HOMM, only that it looked like it because it was released after that one.

I liked the first HOMM but not very much, I loved AoW and saw the HOMM4 for a low price so I am thinking of getting it.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #18
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nah, AoW's a big HoMM rip off. Better racial system (although they're not very well differentiated in the beginning), but gets boring even quicker though - the campaign is dull as sin, but its multiplayer is ok.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 02-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Strange, I remember it faring no resemblence to HOMM at all, then I also noticed that it was much better, then I noticed that the game had actual BALANCING.

Lord I missed that in HOMM

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy