Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Download + review

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 07-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Mmm.. I wasn't able to upload this to the game itself, but here's a walkthrough for the game!

Jinxter Walkthrough

Just in case the puzzles are to difficult for you :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 AM   #3
Pwent

The graphics look superb for 1987, I'm surprised noone mentioned that more. Although honestly I don't know exactly where graphics were at in 1987.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
paulypoos
Abandonia nerd

I can confirm that in 1987 graphics were on the monitor as they were prior to that date and have been ever since... LOL
Seriously though, I am OVER THE MOON that a Magnetic Scrolls adventure has found its way onto ABANDONIA, as I adore them and they bring back such fond memories. The first one I played was THE PAWN on my spectrum 128k and then GUILD OF THIEVES, superb adventures even though with the speccy versions you didnt get graphics!!! oh how I envied the Amiga/Atari ST owners who got those sumptuous piccys I spied on the back of the games box.

Anyway, I did eventually get an ST and AMIGA and the first games I bought were the Magnetic Scrolls adventures and boy they didnt dissapoint! Magnetic Scrolls, for me, were like SIERRA, CINEMAWARE and INFOCOM, a company whos products were so unique to that company, with their own feel and quirky style. They only released a handful of titles (all in their synonymous blue boxes, full of strange goodies such as dice, maps, beermats, audio tapes etc etc), but each one is a one off..great fun to play and I heartily recommend them. A word of help though, if you cant see the graphics on these games its because you may have to click on the bar with the options (that look like scrolls), keep the button pressed and either pull down or up (cant remember which).

I havent downloaded JINXTER from ABANDONIA because I already have it from another site but I have to use a small program/interpreter called MAGNETIC to play it (and the other MAGNETIC SCROLLS games), doesnt this game need it then?? didnt think it would work on modern computers without it.
paulypoos is offline                         Send a private message to paulypoos
Old 08-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #5

Seems to work just fine for me, and I've never even heard of this 'MAGNETIC' program.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
paulypoos
Abandonia nerd

http://www.if-legends.org/~msmemorial/magnetic.htm

MAGNETIC is a great little interpreter for playing old MAGNETIC SCROLLS games. Perhaps the earlier adventures (PAWN, GUILD OF THIEVES, CORRUPTION) need it more then JINXTER. Anyhow, its a nice alternative to DOSBOX for these games and works well, very easy to use. The above link has MAGNETIC on it, along with more info, AND the files needed to play the other MAGNETIC SCROLLS adventures.
There, youve heard of MAGNETIC now havent you.... :bleh:
paulypoos is offline                         Send a private message to paulypoos
Old 09-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
paulypoos
Abandonia nerd

http://www.8ung.at/magneticscrolls/

Anyone playing this game may want to visit the above site where there are viewable/downloadable copys of the stuff included in the JINXTER game when first released. Like INFOCOM and other adventure publishers, Magnetic Scrolls used to include all sorts of bits and bobs with the game, much of which helped you progress through the game...

Old 15-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

I miss those days of opening an adventure game box and finding it full of strange and fun odds and ends. I was amazed at the graphics of this game when it first came out and when I purchased it I was sure that the pictures on the box couldn't possibly appear on my humble computer..I mean we are talking a long time ago here! It's a great game with a fantastic atmosphere where things seem to happen even without your interaction. The only thing I can think of that isn't so great about it is that an early puzzle relies on you being in the right place at the right time and if you happen not to be, then you're absolutely stuck. The interpreter isn't great either - as mentioned in the review - but the language and amusing descriptions make this a game to savour and enjoy at your own pace rather than blast through trying to complete it as quickly as possible.
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove