Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
J.B.

What exactly should the config file look like I did exactly as the instructions on this site instruct and getting the error that I mentioned in the other post.

Exit to Error: Failed to create a rendering output.

When i start DosBox looks like its going to load then I get this error and it closes out. Keeps occurring. How do I fix this.

Running Win98

Old 21-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
BUFFY
Game freak

Your using Windows 98? Reading other posts it seems you dont need DosBox, you can just use the command prompt:

Start > Run > cmd

Some people with Win 98 SE use DosBox, but if the game doesn't work in the command prompt then state what game you are trying to play, maybe its an issue with that.

If you think you do need DosBox and have wrecked your config file, easiest option is to redownload DosBox... the default config settings are okay for most games, tweaking them is just for fine tuning k:
BUFFY is offline                         Send a private message to BUFFY
Old 21-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Data
retired

change video card drivers.
Old 23-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
cyborgwebmaster

Hey this is J.B. Registered now. Really would like to get dosbox running but keep getting the error. All I am changing in the config file is the autoexec portion per the instructions on this site and thats it.

I get the error while trying to load dosbox, is there a location where the dosbox is a more trusted download and is there anything else I can do to keep from getting the error, games on here I would really like to play with sound but can't otherwise.

Hope someone can help.
cyborgwebmaster is offline                         Send a private message to cyborgwebmaster
Old 23-02-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
cyborgwebmaster

Another note to add. If I just run thru the command prompt I can run the game on Win98 but no sound. How do I get the game to play with sound if running thru dos prompt. What exactly do I need to do.

Please help if you can.
cyborgwebmaster is offline                         Send a private message to cyborgwebmaster
Old 23-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #6
cyborgwebmaster

Ok well, I found the solution for the failed msg rending output when starting DOSBOX. I upgraded thes sdl.dll file and took care of that. No longer getting error and DOSBOX runs and loads with no error.

New issue: DOSBOX running very slow when loading and running game and no sound.

Please anybody can you help?

I am still looking around at other sources of information. I will post the location of the upgrade file for the sdl.dll file soon. I just want to get all this ironed out because I really want to play some of these old games that I use to play years ago.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Old 23-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Tell us more about your computer (speed, memory....)

If you are win98 user, we strongly recomend to use command prompr or rebote to dos prompt. There are couple good tutorials on net how to fix default dos install in win98 and how to configure it.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 23-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Try checking your output settings. Default should be surface.
2. If it runs too slow, you might have set the cycles over the capabilities of your computer.
3. No sound - either the game has no sound or you need to launch the game setup first to set it right. I also recommend you set the soundcard emulation of your DosBox to Sound Blaster 16 or Pro, these should work allright. Pro 2 seems to have issues with most games.

And yes, post the parameters of your machine. The more we know the more we can help.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #9
cyborgwebmaster

Windows 98 SE
Compaq Presario
Intel Pentium Processor
SyncDRAM Memory
64 Bit Graphics with Direct3D
JBL Speakers
3Gig

I don't know what other system information you might want? Your saying to setup the came. I download the immortal and there is no game setup with that download. What are you referring to?

Please offer any assistane that you can. I will provide more info if you tell me what your needing to know and where to find it on my machine.

Thanks, Cy
Old 24-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Many people claim they can't manage to run DOSBox in Win98. Fact is, you probably don't need it anyways.

Look at the quote at the end of the second post here.