Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
daniel3ub
Lurker

Hi, folks.

I'm having a weird problem trying to run XCOM 1.
My machine is an athlon xp 1200 mhz, geforce 4 440 mx, win xp sp2 french.
i'm running dosbox version 0.65 and d-fend v2.

if i try to run the win version, all I get is a messed up screen. I can even identify the opening sequence, one can see that the game is running, but the screen is all messed up. If i click the mouse I can figure out that the main menu is shown and the mouse cursor is responding, BUT the screen is bad.

Then i've tried the dos version, using dosbox. all i got was a window showing on its title the words "geoscape", "tactical" and "black", being shown very quickly on the title bar. IF i change the video mode to CGA or HERCULES, I can read a hundred "not enough memory on exec" being shown on the screen. then, if i turn on the option "loadfix", i get the following result:

Code:
loadfix -[value] call full.bat
[value] kb allocated.
[value] kb freed.
and the nasty dosbox prompt.

if i try to run SETUP.EXE it just gives me the dosbox cursor again, without doing nothing.

the strange part is that a friend of mine just runs the win version fine, using win xp too. So i think is a video card issue.

any clue? any idea? just read all topics in all forums about dosbox and xcom, and didin't figure out the problem.

thanks.
daniel3ub is offline                         Send a private message to daniel3ub
Old 08-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

The Windows-version should run just fine (if you got it from Abandonia). The garbled graphics are a common bug on modern graphic cards. Gladly somebody made a patch, which fixes the graphics.

If you got the game from Abandonia, the patch should already be in there. Just run the "UFO.exe" (with the sun symbol) instead of the "UFO Defense.exe" (with the alien symbol) and everything should run just fine.

If you still got problems try different compatibility modes (in case you're using XP).

Hope I could help.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy