Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
swiss
who's not Swiss

Hey folks,

I am planning a trip to London at the end of March this year ...

Can anyone recommend any hotel or hostel ? (and please don't give me thise hotel search engine - I know them and I used them - I am merely asking if you have a secret special something advice)

and BTW is there anything not tooo obvious but interesting to see ? (e.g. the swiss re bulding or chalk hill at night for a fantastic view on the city...)

thanks in advance ...
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 13-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Ohhh!
I love londom, remeber to go and look in the one sci fi store... something planet, thats always fun
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 13-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Jan 13 2006, 11:55 PM
Ohhh!
I love londom, remeber to go and look in the one sci fi store... something planet, thats always fun
yeh well thats not exactly what swiss asked for is it.
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 14-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

While I have avoided staying in any, I did have a look at prices a couple of months ago. Get ready to spend at least 50 quid for a hotel, unless it is very eh interesting hotel or far from anywhere.
If you are going to stay just for a night or two, you might have better luck (money) to find a bed and breakfast place, it should be 10-20 quid cheaper.
also, I don't know how things are in Germany (you are german, right?) but two things that might be of help are, 1) unless you ask for it (in a cheap hotel or b&b) you will have a bathroom/toilet shared with the other guests. 2) There are 2 different taps for water, one cold one hot, you can't mix them. (though I guess in some hotels that might be different) I always find it annoying and still not used to not being able to have water at the right temperature. I end up moving my hands quickly from cold to hot water to get it at warm LOL. (this I will never figure out on my own about this country)

In general hotels etc are clean and the people polite and helpful.
Taxis in London are expensive, so be prepared to pay 15 quid for a 10 min drive or so.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 14-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
moogle
Abandonia Homie

...after watching the trailer for Hostel, I shall never staay in a hostel...meep
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 14-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

please delete this
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 14-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Jan 14 2006, 12:55 AM
Ohhh!
scifi store ??? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

where ? I must find it ...

----

I already have been to London several times so I know about the people the prices and the subway and stuff. The year before last year we have had a small (mini) room near Paddington. That was about 3squaremeters for a bedroom AND a bathroom together ... it was quite cheap anyway...

the thing I ammostly looking for is where I can go to see something not sooo tourist like. Of course I'll go into the London eye (once more) and still need to see the dungeon (I didn't manage to visit it and have been to London 5 times now).

What about nice pieces of Architecture besides the "Swiss Re", "City Hall" and "Lloyds" ?

What about some coool stores? Like the SciFi store moogle talked about and what about nice locations to have a beer and a dance in the evenings?

BTW can u drink alcohol after 11pm now?
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 14-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

The Sci-fi store would be Forbidden Planet. It's a chain with stores all over the country, there's one in Coventry City Centre. It sells all sort of obscurce things, including rare comics (new editions of rare comics, not old comics) and action figures for any film/tv show you care to mention. It's a great shop and their flagship store in London must have some brilliant stuff in it.

As of about a month ago you can drink 24/7 in many places, not all, but many. IF you move around once or twice in an evening you'll be able to stay up and drink as much as you like.

As for cool stores, there's Forbidden Planet I just mention but there are also the flagship stores for many other companies, including a Virgin Megastores which is so huge they have an entire wall (walls in this place are BIG) dedicated to kung-fu films

If you haven't already been to them, don't miss the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum (my personla favourite ).

And @ efthimios. You put the plug in the basin and mix the hot and cold water in the sink. The single tap (combined hot and cold water) system is getting more and more common in Britain.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell