Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Civilization 2

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 22-01-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 12-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

lol I got that game on a cd! Got for $10. Yea if you are a person likee me who puts all the old games on a dos comp, this game runs in win 3.1
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 26-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
LotharGR
Super Freak

Default council :P

Anyone remembers the crazy "council" ? The elvis-like luxories advisor and the general who played the military advisor? I wonder if those fellows were actors working for microprose, or were members of the programmers who made the game :P
LotharGR is offline                         Send a private message to LotharGR
Old 26-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

They where hired actors, they made a big fuss about hiring actors for the civ2 game. It was a big hype.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 26-03-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
LotharGR
Super Freak

I thought so, they were very funny And also the wonder movies were very good... The best movies in any Civ game. ( In Civ III there are no wonder movies at all ).
Old 27-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #6
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
I thought so, they were very funny And also the wonder movies were very good... The best movies in any Civ game. ( In Civ III there are no wonder movies at all ).
And a BIIIIG minus because of that.... the movies added a lot to the overall atmosphere of the game, and just kept you pushing further and further. I remember playing civ2 numerous times, always trying to build all wonders, or at least those for which I haven't seen the movie for yet... so, yes, its a shame
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 27-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
LotharGR
Super Freak

At the time of CivII i had a 486dx4/120 and i remember inviting friends here at my home to see the computer playing the movies of Civ II through the media player of Win 3.11 ....
Old 27-03-2004, 02:14 AM   #8
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

I REALY like the movie for the Manhattan Project muhahaha.. NUKE EM ALL!
Old 28-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The movies where nice but I understand why they where dropped. Movies take up a lot of space on a cd and I would rather they used that space to give more animation to units or add more detail to the landmap. I generally liked Civ3 and think it's a great improvement over civ2 in all areas save one. The combat system. Civ3's combat system is only marginally better then the civ1 version and that was laughable. The combat system in civ3 is the only reason I never played it as much as I did civ and civ2. They got away with it in those games but in 2001 they should have been able to do better. Civ and civ2 where revolutionairy. Civ3 is just a good game.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 29-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
LotharGR
Super Freak

The biggest problem of the compat system of Civ 1 was the fact that even a battleship could lose a battle against a pikeman or a militia... In Civ2 with the "firepower" factor that was impossible. In Civ3 They have raised the attack and defence values of modern units ( i believe ), but sometimes a modern tank can lose a battle against a hoplite, or a pikeman. ( or if it is almost destroyed, and gets attacked from a cavalry, it can lose the battle also ). Also, combat damage does not affect attack strength, something that is very wrong, to my opinion. And there are other things that are not good. Where is the scenario editor? When Civ3 came out there was nowhere, and it has been added with patches ( something that shows that the game was not still completed at the time of its debut ). I don't say that i don't like Civ3, its still a great game, it adds some features to the game that are very good. Like the resource system, but even that sometimes turns to be very annoying. For instance, it isn't logical, a whole continent to do not have iron, or coal at all :P In real earth at least those things can be found everywhere. ... Sorry for my big message, i just expected more from a game with the title "civilization III" and i got a bit dissapointed