Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
kangabill
Lurker

Default BATTLEZONE VS FIREWALL

Battlezone has run foul of Comodo. When trying to load the game Comodo warns that the .exe file is attempting a buffer overflow attack and will not let it play at all.

Any thoughts??
kangabill is offline                         Send a private message to kangabill
Old 23-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Add it to exception or disable the antivirus before playing.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

Or use the "game mode" or "installation mode"...?

If it's a buffer overflow that's detected, there's probably a bug in the game program, although it's unintentional and probably harmless.
Old 26-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
nextinline
Super Freak

Isn't buffer overflows one of the causes of the [infamous] BSoD?
nextinline is offline                         Send a private message to nextinline
Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
KrazeeXXL
BORG

hm exception list should work...

had this buffer overflow warning yesterday, as my machine had to do a lots of things simultaneously, but was able to let the program run w/o problems...

While playing mp over wz I also had some problems with the stealthed ports in comodo. You might try to take a look in this direction... (just when you play mp ofc)

if nothing helps write a mail to comodo and characterize your problem to them. Some ppl I know did this because of modding reasons because suddenly many av's detected something (mostly useless heuristic stuff).

All AV- companies (about 10) finally took the files onto their exception lists. Didn't took 3 days.

but buffer overflow might point in another direction, too. simply lag. happens often on elder windows installations and single core machines.

If nothing helps just pull the plug and shut down comodo
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

A buffer overflow is when a process writes more bytes to a memory address than how many it allocated there. The surplus is written on a consecutive space that's not reserved for it, so it may or not be reserved and used by other process. Most times it's the result of an unintended bug.

It is possible that the memory space where those bytes spill is being used to store instructions (machine code) instead of simple data, so they are sent directly for execution. Sometimes people find a vulnerability in a program, so that when they send some exact input the program creates a buffer overflow in a reproducible way, so an exploiter can send any code he wishes for execution. Don't take my word on this but I think this is more or less how it goes...

A BSOD in Windows has to be caused by an error in the Windows kernel (most times drivers). Any error that's kept limited to any application cannot create a BSOD, at most that single application will crash or eat CPU. Whether or not it's possible for a buffer overflow in an application to affect the Windows kernel, I don't know... Maybe? No?

Nowadays CPUs support DEP, and you can configure it in system properties > advanced. DEP protects against these attacks, but sometimes it will shut down a program because it has a buffer overflow bug that's harmless, and if you want to use the program and trust that it's not malicious you have to tell DEP to ignore it (for example).

That's probably the cause with Battlezone. I think 99 per cent of unintended buffer overflows are harmless, it's an internal error that will cause problems in the causing program itself at most.