Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
Japo
Autonomous human

I'm not familiar with Horseman's tool, but try
Code:
C:
Windows
Two commands, Enter in between. In case the tool needs the current directory to be set. You are calling it from Z: if I got you right.
Old 13-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin045 View Post
I open DOSbox 0.72, mount the oldapps folder to a virtual C drive, and give it the following command:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
* This package is meant to be used with DOSBox 0.73 and newer. It most likely will not work properly in older versions.
The most current DOSBox version (as of May 2010) is 0.74. Consider upgrading.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #33
Moose_of_Abandon
Lurker

Quote:
I was hoping to test mine more extensively before making it public, but since I didn't receive any feedback on it for almost two months I guess keeping it under wraps is sort of pointless now:
http://files.abandonia.com/extras/Pr...r%20DOSBox.rar
Worked perfectly for me - first time.

For anyone having problems, here's *exactly* what I did:
(1). Create a directory on my harddrive, in my case: d:\DOSBOX2.

(2). Download and UnRar the above archive (with directories intact !) to d:\DOSBOX2

This gave me the following files and directory structure in D:\DOSBox2

<DIR> WING
<DIR> SB16
<DIR> WIN32APP
<DIR> WINDOWS
windows.bat
Devlod.com

If you don't have this, then you have *not* extracted the RAR file properly (make sure you extract the RAR completely and with paths / directories intact).

(3). Run DOSBox v0.74 and in DOSBox's command window type the following commands:

mount c d:\DOSBOX2
c:
windows

and that's it. Piece of cake.

Last edited by Moose_of_Abandon; 24-08-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Simplify and fix typo
Moose_of_Abandon is offline                         Send a private message to Moose_of_Abandon
Old 15-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
Yelrihs36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose_of_Abandon View Post
Worked perfectly for me - first time.

For anyone having problems, here's *exactly* what I did:
(1). Create a directory on my harddrive, in my case: d:\DOSBOX2.

(2). Download and UnRar the above archive (with directories intact !) to d:\DOSBOX2

This gave me the following files and directory structure in D:\DOSBox2

<DIR> WING
<DIR> SB16
<DIR> WIN32APP
<DIR> WINDOWS
windows.bat
Devlod.com

If you don't have this, then you have *not* extracted the RAR file properly (make sure you extract the RAR completely and with paths / directories intact).

(3). Run DOSBox v0.74 and in DOSBox's command window type the following commands:

mount c d:\DOSBOX2
c:
windows

and that's it. Piece of cake.
That's weird because I did EXACTLY what you did (my DOSbox directory is d:\DOSBOX and that's where I pasted all the files after unzipping the archive) My directory structure is exactly the same as yours and this is what I entered:

MOUNT C D:\DOSBOX
C:
WINDOWS.BAT

And then Windows starts, but then my Program Manager is completely blank. There's nothing in it, it's just completely white. I'm trying to play SimTower on my laptop (Win7 64-bit) and there was a video tutorial I watched but I'm not pretty much stuck because there's nothing to click in the Program Manager.
Yelrihs36 is offline                         Send a private message to Yelrihs36
Old 15-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
Scatty
Treasure hunter

You might need first to copy/install games to a sub-folder in the D:\DOSBOX\ folder, since the DOSBOX folder is essentially a complete drive, mounted with DosBox, and you can't access any other folders on drive D: while in DosBox (and with Win 3.11's Program Manager at that), with that mount command.
If there's nothing at all shown in Program Manager, maybe it's because all other sub-folders in DOSBOX are marked as Hidden and/or System and not visible normally.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 15-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelrihs36 View Post
And then Windows starts, but then my Program Manager is completely blank. There's nothing in it, it's just completely white. I'm trying to play SimTower on my laptop (Win7 64-bit) and there was a video tutorial I watched but I'm not pretty much stuck because there's nothing to click in the Program Manager.
Screenshot, please.

Check that d:\dosbox\windows contains several GRP files: ACCESSOR.GRP, AUDIOSOF.GRP, GAMES.GRP, MAIN.GRP, NETWORK.GRP, QUICKTIM.GRP and STARTUP.GRP
Also verify that PROGMAN.INI contains:
Code:
[Settings]
Window=33 21 590 323 1
Order= 1 7 6 8 2 3 5 4
display.drv=S3TRIO.DRV
AutoArrange=0

[Groups]
Group1=C:\WINDOWS\MAIN.GRP
Group2=C:\WINDOWS\ACCESSOR.GRP
Group3=C:\WINDOWS\NETWORK.GRP
Group4=C:\WINDOWS\GAMES.GRP
Group5=C:\WINDOWS\STARTUP.GRP
Group8=C:\WINDOWS\AUDIOSOF.GRP
Group6=C:\WINDOWS\ZOMBIEWA.GRP
Group7=C:\WINDOWS\QUICKTIM.GRP

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #37
Yelrihs36

Quote:
Screenshot, please.

Check that d:\dosbox\windows contains several GRP files: ACCESSOR.GRP, AUDIOSOF.GRP, GAMES.GRP, MAIN.GRP, NETWORK.GRP, QUICKTIM.GRP and STARTUP.GRP
Also verify that PROGMAN.INI contains:
Code:
[Settings]
Window=33 21 590 323 1
Order= 1 7 6 8 2 3 5 4
display.drv=S3TRIO.DRV
AutoArrange=0

[Groups]
Group1=C:\WINDOWS\MAIN.GRP
Group2=C:\WINDOWS\ACCESSOR.GRP
Group3=C:\WINDOWS\NETWORK.GRP
Group4=C:\WINDOWS\GAMES.GRP
Group5=C:\WINDOWS\STARTUP.GRP
Group8=C:\WINDOWS\AUDIOSOF.GRP
Group6=C:\WINDOWS\ZOMBIEWA.GRP
Group7=C:\WINDOWS\QUICKTIM.GRP
AH, I think I know what the problem is now... I opened PROGRAM.INI and while the [settings] part is correct, there is nothing under [groups].
This is what I see:

Code:
[Settings]
Window=33 21 590 323 1
Order=1 7 6 8 2 3 5 4
display.drv=S3TRIO.DRV
AutoArrange=0

[Groups]
Should I just add those in myself and save?

EDIT: I added those things into PROGRAM.INI and now it looks okay. Thanks for your help

Last edited by Yelrihs36; 17-09-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Yelrihs36 is offline                         Send a private message to Yelrihs36
Old 20-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #38
PinkyPoo

Hey, I came across this when I was searching for ways to play my old Sim Tower game. I just can't get your link to work on the original post so that I can get the files. I tried on a different laptop as well as different browsers and neither of them worked. Any help would be lovely!
PinkyPoo is offline                         Send a private message to PinkyPoo
Old 20-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPoo View Post
Hey, I came across this when I was searching for ways to play my old Sim Tower game. I just can't get your link to work on the original post so that I can get the files. I tried on a different laptop as well as different browsers and neither of them worked. Any help would be lovely!
Try this link: http://ge.tt/3hVItQ01/v/0

-- Reed Richards
Old 20-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
PinkyPoo

Quote:
Worked like a charm, thank you!
One more question for you if you don't mind! It all works perfectly, but when I try and bring my mouse back out to my actual computer screen rather than windows 3 in dos, it disappears. Is there a way to prevent that? It also disappears when I close out of windows 3 and goes back to the dos box screen. Thank you so much!
PinkyPoo is offline                         Send a private message to PinkyPoo