Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
The Duke
Forum hobbit

Hey just wondering if there was a way to run XP as your main OS but when you want it, restart you computer in 95/98 so you can play games like the xcom games. i had a P3 using Windows ME and they all ran fine, i wnt to a AMD Athlon with XP SP2 and now they wont run without using dosbox.
The Duke is offline                         Send a private message to The Duke
Old 12-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Duke @ Jun 12 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]236071[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hey just wondering if there was a way to run XP as your main OS but when you want it, restart you computer in 95/98 so you can play games like the xcom games. i had a P3 using Windows ME and they all ran fine, i wnt to a AMD Athlon with XP SP2 and now they wont run without using dosbox.
[/b]
Yes, it's quite simply.
1. You need to go sure that you can re-install Windows XP from a CD again.
2. Then you need to either 1. Split your HD in two partitions or 2. Get a second HD. There are programs on the net that can split the HD in two formations, for Windows 98 it was a program called FDISK.EXE yet. If you have the Windows 98 CD also which can boot as from a floppy then you can boot through it and directly go to the next step, but before you do that, SEARCH while in Windows for the program FDISK on it. It can be hidden in the .cab files, too. When you have found it then
3. Delete anything from your HD(s). By splitting your HD in two partitions anything becomes deleted, anyway. If you have Windows 98 CD boot from it, then run the program FDISK that you copied before somewhere where you can run it. It should be easy to navigate, just keep in mind that in order to split the HD into two partitions you need first to delete the one that's already there as it usually already uses the entire space up, and after that to create one that uses less space, and the remaining space can be assigned to a second partition then. First create a secondary one with the space you want to assign to Windows 98, then create a primary one that uses all the remaining space.
4. When you created two partitions on your HD or have a second HD that is empty of anything, then you can install both systems in the following row.
5. First install Windows 98 on the secondary partition or second HD. Not Windows 95 as that one wouldn't be recognized by Windows XP to modify the start menu or some system files accordingly. Only Windows 98 (better Windows 98 Second Edition) or ME, better 98 or 98SE though.
6. After you have finished installing Windows 98 and can restart the computer manually, install Windows XP on the first, primary partition or the first HD. I suppose it will be your main operating system that you will use most of the time, therefore the first partition/HD. While installing Windows XP will automatically recognize Windows 98 being also installed and modify the start menu so that you can choose which of the two to start everytime from now on.

You will want to get a soundcard that is compatible to the old Soundblaster default, like Soundblaster Live! that has drivers which you can install (or they will be installed automatically) for the Dos-part of Windows 98. Also keep in mind that many games don't run directly while in Windows 98 but only when you quit it and restart in Dos-Mode. But when you quit Windows there's no support for the CD or DVD-Rom anymore as there're by default no drivers loaded for the Dos-part in config.sys, so you'll probably want to search for some CD/DVD-drivers for Ms-Dos on the net. Although if your Windows 98 CD can boot, then you can do just that as it usually has the option to boot with support for CD/DVD-Rom.

Then you're finished. Have fun with playing games in Windows 98
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Duke @ Jun 12 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]236071[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
you know microsoft has great customer support and help files:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...g.mspx?mfr=true
Old 13-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Using dual HDD's is not a bad idea at all, been there myself.
On the other hand, you can do with one HDD and a boot manager installed.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman