Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2007, 02:19 AM   #2961
Blackhawk441

Eagle of Fire, can you give me a link for the DOS version? Also, is there any difference in the gameplay between the versions? I feel like I am downgrading........
This is so painstaking! I used to be able to play it!! :wallbash:
Blackhawk441 is offline                         Send a private message to Blackhawk441
Old 24-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #2962
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackhawk441 @ Sep 24 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]312811[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Eagle of Fire, can you give me a link for the DOS version? Also, is there any difference in the gameplay between the versions?
[/b]
From the same page where you had dowloaded the WIN version you can also download the DOS version (just at the end of the review there's the proper link).

As for the gameplay, no difference between version.
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 24-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #2963
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 22 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]312414[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, bollocks to that. I'd rather wait until 2012, when they finally come out with a remake. I bet it'll run on the Source engine. And it'll have 30% less moronic-looking purple bodysuit comic book reject character models.
[/b]
Look up "UFO: Extraterrestrials". It's pretty much exactly what you described.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 23 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]312741[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I just installed Xcom from your site but im having problems.

I downloaded the windows version, it works perfect except for the sound, i really like the sound in xcom as it creates the atmosphere like no other game ive ever played ..... so:

I installed the DOS version in the Dosbox window but now i have no sound at all, not even effects, i do notice however that you have all music files available on the xcom page, is this to solve the problem or something?
if it is i dont know what to do or where to put them.

Anyway i tried searching these 200 odd pages of information, i found alot of people with the same problem have posted but no solution has worked for me, i tried making the sound settings 220, 7, 1 blah blah but that doesnt work, i tried starting with the go, full, short blah blah modes but none work either. Please help, all this reading about the game really gets you rearing to play it.

Im running XP if that helps.
[/b]
A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox will have you playing the game in no time.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #2964
Blackhawk441

Does anybody know what .exe/.bat to use in the DOS version? Do they work in DOSBox? I couldn't figure out which one... Thanks

By the way Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting!
Blackhawk441 is offline                         Send a private message to Blackhawk441
Old 24-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #2965
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Did you try the GO.com file?
Old 24-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #2966
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackhawk441 @ Sep 24 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]312980[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Does anybody know what .exe/.bat to use in the DOS version? Do they work in DOSBox?[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Sep 23 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]312779[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
And for the DOS version you must run UFOCD.BAT.[/b]
Yes it works in DOSBox.
Old 25-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #2967
Blackhawk441

Japofran,
It says in DOSBox "CALL UFOCD.BAT." Nothing runs. In XP it says that it is not a valid Win32 app. Its size is 0 KB :blink:. Also it seemed like the graphics in DOSBox changed (in the red intro screen) so there is obviously something wrong with the XCOM/My Computer interaction..... I guess this defies your logic, EoF. Midget, with GO.exe the screen goes blank in DOSBox, on XP it says "Not enough memory on exec" a infinite number of times.
Old 25-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #2968
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

No, it doesn't. But just like all other times, I'm going to download the DOS version again and try it. Give me a few moments and I'm getting back to you.

Edit: Okay, worked fine like all other times. Fired up DOSBox 0.72 and I needed to run setup.bat to set up sound support because it's set to none by default. Selected soundblaster and soundblaster/adlib for sound, then tryied full.bat. Sound didn't work, so I typed in ufocd.bat and then it worked like a charm.

I just don't understand why it would not work.
Old 25-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #2969
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackhawk441 @ Sep 25 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]313019[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It says in DOSBox "CALL UFOCD.BAT."[/b]
What says that, UFOCD.BAT? It tries to run itself? :blink: Well here's the right content for the BAT, paste in Notepad and save as UFOCD.BAT:

Code:
@echo off
cls
%1ufoexe\black
%1sound\sndstart
%1intro****************%1
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufoexe\geoscape**"0" %1
if errorlevel 2 goto begin
goto end
:begin
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufo2exe\tactical "1" %1
:geo
%1ufoexe\black
%1ufoexe\geoscape**"1" %1
if errorlevel 2 goto begin
:end
%1sound\sndend
Old 25-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #2970
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The command "call" is a command you'd use in a batch file (.bat) to call other programs while keeping the batch file running. You don't need to type that to run a batch file, but it should not prevent the file from running anyways.

If you have a 0kb file, you probably have a problem with corruption. I'd try redownloading the game. That, or your unarchiver is not working properly.

a 0kb batch file would be possible, but then it would be completely blank.