Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Abandonia was mentioned last Saturday in a Portuguese news paper... This link will show you the online version.

The text is, of couse in portuguese:

"Os f?s dos jogos de computador habituaram-se já há algum tempo a jogos tridimensionais com músicas dignas de produç?es cinematográficas, mas os que quiserem recordar os tempos do velho DOS v?o encontrar em Abandonia (http/ /www.abandonia.com) um vasto repositório de jogos antigos: s?o quase 200 jogos, muitos já abandonados pelos seus produtores e disponíveis para download gratuito. Os utilizadores podem atribuir uma classificaç?o a cada jogo, de maneira que rapidamente se encontram os mais populares. Uma visita ao Abandonia permite descobrir clássicos como o precursor Wolfenstein 3D ou os Civilization e Colonization do guru Sid Meier. O site (que tem uma vers?o portuguesa) está divido em várias categorias e oferece ainda os programas necessários para correr os jogos num computador moderno.

but here is a translation of what it says:

"Fans of computer games are today used to 3D productions with music tracks comparable to movie sound tracks, but to the ones that wish to remember the times of old DOS will find at Abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com) a vast colection of old games: there are almost 200 games, many of them abandoned by their producers and available for free download. The users can rate each game, so they easyly find the most popular. A visit to Abandonia allows you to find real classics like the precursor Wolfenstein 3D or the Civilization and Colonization from the guru Sid Meier. The site (which has a Portuguese version) is divided in several cathegories and offers the required programs to run the games in modern computers"

(if someone wishes to correct my english, please go ahead :whistle: )
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 30-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That could maybe attract some unwanted attention, but it's good to see the site mentioned in a general public's newspaper.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
lethe
Game freak

Oh noes! This must be a conspiracy to invade this site with stupid... Err I mean, portuguese people.
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 31-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 31 2005, 12:27 AM
That could maybe attract some unwanted attention, but it's good to see the site mentioned in a general public's newspaper.
Hmm, what do you mean by unwanted attention? Surely publicity is a good thing for us on the whole?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 31-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

It's great that we're getting positive responses, but there are two things... We have way over 200 games by now (maybe they were refering to the translations done into Portugeese so far) and Wolfenstein 3D isn't downloadable - this could be a bit of a problem...

Otherwise - :Brain:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 31-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Oct 31 2005, 08:36 AM
It's great that we're getting positive responses, but there are two things... We have way over 200 games by now (maybe they were refering to the translations done into Portugeese so far) and Wolfenstein 3D isn't downloadable - this could be a bit of a problem...

Otherwise - :Brain:
Quote:
Uma visita ao Abandonia permite descobrir clássicos como o precursor Wolfenstein 3D
They're talking about Wolfenstein being available for download.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 31-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #7
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Yeah, the really old 2D, ASCII-based one. "the precursor of Wolf 3D".
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 31-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Oct 31 2005, 10:44 AM
They're talking about Wolfenstein being available for download.
Ah, then it's Castle Wolfenstein and not Wolfenstein 3D.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 31-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Almost 200 games? I think that clipping is a bit old, or they mean 700 by 200
Old 31-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

No... the arthicle was written around the 20th of October... by that date, the Portuguese version had around 200 game reviews translated (now we are over 230 :bleh: )

A little publicity is quite good in fact, and I' m glad my team' s work is getting some recongnition: I don't want to translate the site just for myself and for another half a dozen people, you know I want "loads" of people to see it :Brain:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek