Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #11
Brother52

Also you can click on the flag of the very same harbour yer ship is at the moment, this way you order it to stay there for days ( 1 - 1 year, if I remember correctly)
Comes very handy in certain situations.
Brother52 is offline                         Send a private message to Brother52
Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #12
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Thanks PrejudiceSucks and R Havell for your advise!
Though the Sydney-Tokyo route is %?$* dangerous because of typhoons. I just built a second ship (or well, repaired a second hand ship) and sent it on that route. Halfway there was a collision and the 100% repaired ship sunk :ranting:
This game is even worse than Ports of Call when it comes to random disasters
Old 06-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #13
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hmm coal is only good for so long I have discovered. As soon as you get into tobacco and the like, coal seems pitiful.

Chemicals and Lead are good too. I recommend those.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #14
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

The big advantage of coal is that bulk carriers can transport it, plus it doesn't cost much in comparison to chemicals or more expensive loads.
I tend to run out of money to buy cargo... Especially when I'm taking a few of those huge forwarding offers. I have the impression those contracts as well as those with a not-too-tight time limit are far more profitable than regular hauls.

For bulk ships I've found a few other decent trips, like carrying grain to Sudan (an easy $ 70 profit per ton, at a buying price that's only some $ 155 per ton)
Though after my second bulk ship decided to take a vacation on the bottom of the ocean, I haven't used any other ships than large freighters... At least it looks like bulk carriers have a much higher chance of a collision, which always sinks them no matter how often you give them maintenance.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #15
janm.l
Forum hobbit

Did anyone find out the use of Passenger Ships?

thanx, :blink: Jan
janm.l is offline                         Send a private message to janm.l
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #16
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Not yet, maybe I'll buy my first during next week, if I happen to have enough spare time. I'm curious myself to figure it out.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

i builded one, but i didn' t figure what to do with it... i can' t load any cargo at it and i don' t know how to get people in it... so i' m stucked with this huge ... i was expecting some kind of special menu for it, to create a cruise or something like that, but nothing new happened. if anyone knows what to do, i also appreciate an answer k:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #18
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Finally... It took me 28 months to build a passenger ship.
You don't have to load cargo to it, just choose a destination and at arrival you'll be notified of how many people were aboard + the profit you've made.
Apparently it's best to sail between very important ports. I tried a few other routes first like Sydney - Wellington, and I only got 400 passengers, generating less income than the docking costs. Sydney - Tokyo seems nice enough, about 4 million profit from a single crossing with a 1000 pax ship (now I'm building a bigger one).

Passenger ships are a huge investment and take a long time to build, but they're the best way to make money, especially once you reach the 25 ships ceiling.

Does anyone have any tips on how to lower your taxes? I tried buying more ships to make my "income" as it is shown in the tables negative, but I still had to pay as much as ever.

Tip of the day: New York - Halifax and Fremantle - Tokyo make for some good trade routes too.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #19
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Aug 11 2005, 03:51 PM
Finally... It took me 28 months to build a passenger ship.
You don't have to load cargo to it, just choose a destination and at arrival you'll be notified of how many people were aboard + the profit you've made.
Apparently it's best to sail between very important ports. I tried a few other routes first like Sydney - Wellington, and I only got 400 passengers, generating less income than the docking costs. Sydney - Tokyo seems nice enough, about 4 million profit from a single crossing with a 1000 pax ship (now I'm building a bigger one).

Passenger ships are a huge investment and take a long time to build, but they're the best way to make money, especially once you reach the 25 ships ceiling.
wow, is that true? my passenger ship is a big one (2500 passenger, it costed me 360000000$) andi had it stucked at the harbor expecting to find a way to load it. i' m going to try right away

as for taxes, i' m still trying to figure it out too... apparently having a negative balance is not enough. there must be something else...
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #20
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Could you check whether this theory of mine is correct?
I have the impression that a passenger ship's income is calculated as:
(distance in nautical miles) * (number of passengers)

This would mean that the longest possible routes between large ports are the most profitable routes for passenger ships, as the docking costs don't depend on the length of the route.

In the meantime I've already lost my newly built passenger ship to a collision, even if it was at 100%. Good thing that I was insured.