Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
eko13wf

Default Unknown Space Turn-Based Strategy Game

What I can remember:
- The game was played on a simple grid
- Your ship was a dot in the center of each grid square
- You could upgrade your shield, and the shields would show as circles around your ship, with more circles the more powerful your shield was
- You moved around the grid by clicking movement buttons
- It was mostly black-and-white, but I think other ships were different colors
- Turn-based
- No combat animations

What I can't remember for sure (I was maybe 7 at the time):
- The overall objective
- I think there may have been some sort of basic map
- It was for Win95 I think, possibly Win3.1
- *May* have been on WayCool Games for Windows CD, or WayCool 2, but I've tried to get them with no luck
- I think you could take over a planet (also a dot) to produce ships there, and also upgrade the defenses for the planet
- When you moved a ship, it would select your next available ship that had moves left or a planet that could produce something
- Probably a shareware game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grid.jpg (19.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by eko13wf; 17-03-2016 at 06:49 PM.
eko13wf is offline                         Send a private message to eko13wf
Old 17-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

It doesn't fit completely, but Warpath had some of the things you mention. As you buy shields those show around your ship, and you can conquer planets so they start working for you and if you invest on them they will have defenses.

If that isn't the game, could you remember any more details? Was the game in real time or turn based? Anything about combat? Was there any kind of animation?
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn
Old 17-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
eko13wf

It seemed simpler than Warpath, less color.

It was turn-based and no sort of combat animations. I don't believe there were any sort of laser pew pew or explosion sounds either.

I think when you moved a ship, it would select your next available ship that had moves left or a planet that could produce something.
Old 17-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
eko13wf

I added a grid picture to the original post. The graphics were marginally better than my paint skills. Note that I am the black ship with obviously superior shield levels.
Old 17-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

Sorry, I didn't see that you had put turn based on the title. The description reminds of games like Konquest. It most certainly isn't Konquest, but it was such a generic kind of game that it is hard to find a specific title. Other options that I found while searching were Stars!, VGA Planets and Space Empires, but I feel it's none of them.
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn
Old 17-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
eko13wf

Yeah they have similarities. All seem too new, or at least too fancy. I need to find full copies for the Waycool and Waycool Too CDs to go through them, to see if it exists on them. That is my best feeling right now.
Old 17-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #7
eko13wf

Also, it may just be because of the content of the game, but I feel like the title had something to do directly with space at least, using any of the words:
space
star
stellar
interstellar

I don't think it was anything like:
galactic
galaxy
universe
Old 18-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Can it be any of Star Trek variants? I believe, it was quite many of them, even if moby doesn't list it too many in Win era. Stellar Explorer, for example, can show you how it looks usually.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
eko13wf

That (Stellar Explorer) is much closer to what it was like. I'll have to get it to check but it doesn't quite look it. Maybe an earlier version of the same game. I don't think it was Star Trek.
Old 19-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

There are a lot of such games, derived from old "Star Trek" game (loosely based on the Star Trek universe indeed). Check Moby list to see incomplete list of such games. All of them based on quadrant-divided maps with stars (obstacles), enemies (klingons usually) and starbases (reloading points).