Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 AM   #211
Squad leader

This game seems almost exactly like C&C. I don't know who riped off who though but in either case the things that you rarely see in Dune 2 are in C&C red alert.
  1. There is a monster (red alert has tornado) that can INSTANLY KILL YOUR MEN!
  2. There is a ballistic missle that can inflict heavy damage (all sides have it. But in C&C regular NOD is the only one to have that. Ion cannon doesn't count)
  3. Annoting infantry can be ran over (Via tank crushes some guy)
  4. Your units automatically attack when a hoostile target enters attack range (unpatched) and just sit there. Regardless if they are being shot.
  5. Infantry can't hit an air target even though they have rifles that could posibly be shot in the air
  6. terrain has no value in both games. high or low.
  7. both require harvesting of some sort of material
  8. And no this is not a rip off of another game because THEY ARE MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY!
And funny story about dos box. All the games run fine. It's just dos box that doesn't work.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #212
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Well, Dune 2 sort of spawned most of the genre, put it on the map.
You can consider C&C as a follow-up of Dune 2. Just like most games in this genre still have a lot of ties with Dune 2.

Speaking about harvesting, I always thought it was quite ridiculous that every map in Dune 2 so easily ran out of spice. After all the whole importance of the planet is that it's a vast source of spice, so it's not logical that the last levels tend to boil down to a 'last man standing' fight because all the spice has been used...
Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #213
Squad leader

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ Aug 5 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]302879[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, Dune 2 sort of spawned most of the genre, put it on the map.
You can consider C&C as a follow-up of Dune 2. Just like most games in this genre still have a lot of ties with Dune 2.

Speaking about harvesting, I always thought it was quite ridiculous that every map in Dune 2 so easily ran out of spice. After all the whole importance of the planet is that it's a vast source of spice, so it's not logical that the last levels tend to boil down to a 'last man standing' fight because all the spice has been used...
[/b]
Yeah I agree. C&C came after Dune 2 (I checked, might be wrong). But in C&C they changed it so that it doesn't always have to be a 'whoever mined the most and has the most efficent units wins" kind of battle. Because resouces grow back. C&C has tribirillm which left over a while can grow back into more. And Red alert has a ore wells. But I AM NOT SAYING RED ALERT C&C OR C&C IN GENERAL IS BETTER THAN DUNE 2! Sandworms are annoying....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #214
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Dune2 was actually made by the same company as command&conquer, so you can call it C&C 0.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #215
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

right. lets call wolfenstein doom -1
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #216
Squad comander Promoted: Base Co

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Aug 6 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]303018[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
right. lets call wolfenstein doom -1
[/b]
Wait. Doom and wolfenstien are made by the same company? Are they really? Dune2 and C&C are made by westwood. So what are doom and wolfenstien made by?

Sandworms are just to tough...

Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #217
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

id software =P
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #218
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

While we're at that, you could also say Doom is Quake 0

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #219
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kmonster @ Aug 6 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]303017[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Dune2 was actually made by the same company as command&conquer, so you can call it C&C 0.
[/b]
Nononono, C&C was made by the same company as Dune2
Old 15-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #220

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 20 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]287762[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[font=Trebuchet Ms] what I do is I make multiple hi-tech factories and send in swarms of Ornithopters. From Scarrior the III
[/b]

How do you make i that far? I mean, how to make ornithtoptor factories before the opposition nukes you? I have tried everything (not that creative, coz I am old!!) to get past the level where ornithopters are available and get nuked every time...