Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

The thing about AI (imo) is that it should be appropriate to the character in the game. Sure, a highly trained SAS team should work together, use cover, etc. but a furious demon from the lowest pit of hell should not, it should run straight at you slashing and roaring.
Also, most of his "new game ideas" already exist. Apart from that, yes, a very entertaining article.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 31-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
Anon
Lurker

I agree with most of the comments, except the first using DOOM3 as an example is not a good argument. I think ID got stuck with the genre of the series and focused more on graphics since that is the selling point nowadays. The monsters in the DOOM series have never been noted for their GPA scores anyway. You can't say that AI hasn't improved either, notice he didn't use Operation Flashpoint as an example for a dumb FPS.

Agree with the patches though quality assurance should be improved, I find patches nowadays might fix a probelm or not in some cases. However in my experience they are morely likely to cause more problems, and hence another patch is need for those and so on and so forth.
Anon is offline                         Send a private message to Anon
Old 31-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@May 31 2005, 10:37 AM
The thing about AI (imo) is that it should be appropriate to the character in the game. Sure, a highly trained SAS team should work together, use cover, etc. but a furious demon from the lowest pit of hell should not, it should run straight at you slashing and roaring.
Also, most of his "new game ideas" already exist. Apart from that, yes, a very entertaining article.
I agree that the AI should fit the character, and as Anon pointed out it would've been more fair to use a game as Operation Flashpoint as an example. The thing is that Doom 3 is supposed to be the pinnacle of gaming technology, and still it has crappy AI. And while you might argue that that is because the developers focused almost exclusively on the graphics, that's excactly his point. Although you can find games out there with better AI, it isn't excactly the first priority among most developers.

And, btw, the guy never claims that any of the ideas are new (which they aren't), he merely says that they are the things gamers want in their games.

That said, I must say I found it very interesting to read his copyright rant. I never knew that ideas like that were patented. It just goes to show that it's about time that international copyright laws were heavily revised (especially with regards to software), so that they can serve their original purpose instead of just maintaining the dominance of a few corporations.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 31-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #14
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

So true...
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Truth and nothing but the truth.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 31-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #16
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

[quote]The thing about AI (imo) is that it should be appropriate to the character in the game. Sure, a highly trained SAS team should work together, use cover, etc. but a furious demon from the lowest pit of hell should not, it should run straight at you slashing and roaring.

I like R Havell's points. I was a little too hard on the article. Very entertaining; I think the author made some stupid points and some good ones. All in all, a great piece of work. k:
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 31-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #17
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nice article. Great read and most of it makes sense. I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about the lack of originality in computer games. Hardly any new concepts at all; not out-of-the-box thinking, even from Nintendo, which used to have new concepts all the time...
I guess it's one of the (main) reasons we're all sticking to the old-time-favourites k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 31-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #18
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

After reading that article I got to thinking I wonder what it would be like if Sega was still around making consoles, don't know why just a thought that popped up, maybe there would be more creativity I don't know.

Edit: Yeah I know Sega makes games for other consoles, forgot to mention that above my bad LOL.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 31-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathDude@May 31 2005, 10:56 PM
After reading that article I got to thinking I wonder what it would be like if Sega was still around making consoles, don't know why just a thought that popped up, maybe there would be more creativity I don't know.
well sega still make games, just for other people!

i think the slow death of the arcades has stopped creativity.
remember it was sega who took the military sim technology of 3d cards and used them for their arcade games... which then led to the first P.C 3d cards. that tech didnt spontaneously appear for p.c's.

ironically, in a lot of ways the P.C is the main development form for new tech.. the arcades are mostly about gimmicks and interfaces you wouldnt afford for your p.c or console. the consoles are just cheaper p.c's. xbox for example. the next gen consoles have a different design architecture to a p.c.. but thats just because there are a lot of ways to cook a goose - they dont have anything 'new'
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 01-06-2005, 12:02 AM   #20
Xinithaous
Abandonia nerd

LOLl Me three, THe point abt FInal Fantasy VIII was a good one i was so hyped up abt the graphics but they werent too bad were tehy?
Xinithaous is offline                         Send a private message to Xinithaous