Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

OK, so I am moving house in a couple of weeks. The house has no telephone line, for which I don't care but I need broadband, so I need a telephone line.
So far only BT and NTL support the area (aberystwyth wales) from what I know (searched wanadoo, tiscali, telewest). BT packages are a joke. With limitations of 1 to 3 GBs per month...and the only good ones are priced at 27 and 29 pounds for 2MBit connection with 15 and 30 GBs limit per month. Plus the min 10.50 or somethign for phone line, plus 75 initial cost for isntalling the line.
So, I said, screw them I will try to get NTL. They have the freedom packages with only 512K but with unlimited eh limits, so that is good! They also have a package for 16.99 that includes this broadband together with a phone line rental! So I was all set, went through the online thingy and then it asked me for my BT line number... So, I called NTL (about 5 min ago) and asked them WTF is going on. Apparently I need to have a BT line installed (and thus contract with them for 12 months), to get the phone line from NTL, which means another 16.99 in addition to the 10.50 per month, plus the 75 for installing the line. FFS!
Does any of you know of any other broadband providers that support the area that do not have such stupid limitations?
:help:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 26-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Do you have Vodafone there?
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 26-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Vodafone are mobile only in the UK at the minute.

That seems a little odd, I have ntl and they didn't need a BT line - they shouldn't need one for cable broadband, but one is needed for DSL, which may be what they're offering you, in which case various providers should be able to do it.

Do telewest not cover as far over as Aberystwyth?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 26-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm on http://www.plus.net , I think Talon is too. It's very fast and reliable without any limits, you should check it out.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 26-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

There is Vodafone in the UK, but as far as I know they do not have any helpful packages ?

Telewest does not support Aber. :-(

NTL would be great if I could get the cable packages but unfortunately they do have cable in Aber. They only have what they call Freedom packages. Which is basicaly phone and dial up or broadband (512k max) connections....

efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 26-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Plusnet looks very good, though I would still need to have a BT line, but they look very very good I agree. I sent a message to them and asked them if they support the area, no replies yet.

Old 26-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i have no download limit on my 56k dialup!

the main drawback for me is all broadband available to me REQUIRES 12 month contract.
thats not acceptable.
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 26-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Plusnet's contracts are one month (mine is anyway)
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 26-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Vodafone should offer broadband soon.
I work for Vodafone Iceland, we have mobile, home telephone and internet service.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 26-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Most contracts are 12 months then monthly after that, particulalry anything where they provide the hardware/installation - it's like a deposit.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone