Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
JKalenad

Default Hubie

One of my favorite games growing up was the shareware puzzle game Hubie by Serendipity Software. You played as a little red grasshopper looking thing that could push, crush and fly through various blocky puzzles containing springs, fire, ice, rocks, and conveyor belts among other things. The registered version included a fairly robust level editor and new items like clouds.

With a little searching on the internet, you can find the unregistered version, but for many years I could never find the full version.

A couple years ago, however, I managed to find the full version. In fact, it's a recovered copy of the same one I played as a child, given that there are several custom series that bear the mark of a 8-year-old learning how to use the computer.
In a remarkable instance of heartwarming coincidence (serendipity?), the Board.exe and Hubie.exe bear the date of my 6th birthday as the date they were last modified.

I notice that Hubie is not on Abandonia, and I think quite a few people are missing something wonderful with this little gem. I would love to share my version with everyone, but I don't know anything about the laws or rules about that. I highly suggest seeking it out, and if it turns out I can offer my full version for others to enjoy, I'd very gladly clean it up and oblige.

I've attached some images from Hubie to this post. Of course, they barely scratch the surface of this wonderful game.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hubie 1.png (22.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png Hubie 2.png (25.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Hubie 3.png (25.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Hubie 4.png (18.8 KB, 6 views)
JKalenad is offline                         Send a private message to JKalenad
Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
CaseyH
Default YES!

Hi,

I also loved Hubie as a kid and somewhere along the line, I lost my floppy disk for it (probably because I hadn't owned a floppy drive for several years). I'm sorry to say that I don't know much about the copyright for Hubie, but considering Serendipity Software is completely defunct and there is no way to even try to pay for a registered copy, I'd say you're probably fine to upload it. I'll do a little more research and post again though.

On a more selfish note, would you be so kind as to e-mail me a copy? It's been so long and now you've got my hopes up. I'm visually impaired and this was one of the games I could play just as well as any sighted person, so this game holds a special place in my heart.

My e-mail:
CaseyWHarris@gmail.com

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

PM sent to JKalenad
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 28-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Casey Harris
Default Serendipity Software & Copyright

So I did some digging and searched through a number of lists of federal copyrights and found only Serendipity Software's copyright which has expired. Nobody else seems to have any claim to this game, so it can most definately be considered abandonware now. If you'd like links to the databases I searched, let me know.

I'd still love a copy of my own too, if you can get around to it. You could either e-mail it to me (CaseyWHarris@gmail.com) or just upload it somewhere for anyone to download and let me know where. This game definately belongs in the lexicon of great old DOS games.

Old 28-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Dear Casey,

It must be unprecedented, but still, I'd like to ask if you would like to register on this website. You wouldn't have to expose your e-mail address to the public, and while I don't believe it is going to be spammed to infinity, you could handle such communication quite discreetely. Well, your choice, and, if you feel like giving us a hand in validating whether a game is protected, we're curiously awaiting your help.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
JKalenad

Smile

Oh, dear! I'm sorry for not replying for over a month!
I managed to archive my copy of Hubie, and I'm in the process of looking for the original floppy disk.
I'm glad that my post has brought the game back into the light!
JKalenad is offline                         Send a private message to JKalenad
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Brime
Smile WHAT?!? unbleaveable

I cant believe after all these years someone has the game!!! This is amazing, I spent so many hours as a kid on this game. I hope your floppy still works JKalenad.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
blaquened

Wow, so someone DO have it... I loved that game, would love to play the full version! I'll be watching this post for more news.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
kotake

Default :DDDDD

I wanna play Hubie registered game too DDD
kotake is offline                         Send a private message to kotake
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #10
cunneth

Smile

I was looking for Hubie a few years ago and managed to get in touch with the developer (Sim Dietrich) who sent me a link to the full version.
I've uploaded it again. Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?25pb71u4zt9liqt

Enjoy
cunneth is offline                         Send a private message to cunneth