Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Well I'm posting here mainly to reject the idea that WikiLeaks is supported everywhere in the world. As far as I've seen it's only highly supported by the usual freedom and liberty armada, mostly concentrated in Europe.

First there is the illusion that WikiLeaks will help normal people to keep their governments in line. Wrong. They will even try to restrict access to the info you currently have without problems. Plus what are you people doing regarding the secrets? Absolutely nothing, except trolling internet forums with it. The best you could do is hack credit card sites defending your precious site, which is called internet terrorism, by the way. I mean, most of the people who are pro-wikileaks (or anti-wikileaks, it goes both ways) didn't even read the documents they published there, and informed themselves from the news. Some say that the fact the leaks got the news headlines is enough to make their government think things over. Ok, maybe. But lets take the US cables as an example. Leaving aside that those documents are just opinions of embassy workers, what is US supposed to do about it? Stop spying countries? One of the first things my history teacher taught me in school was that embassies are the first espionage nests. That is their main role, NOT establishing longlasting diplomatic ties.

So it's clear that the country most affected by WikiLeaks is USA; diplomatically, the other countries gained an upper hand in their relations with USA. And that's why it would seem that Americans are the main people who do not support WikiLeaks. Because they realized that their country has become the main target. Frankly many times in history there were events when a large mass of people from countries supported a movement from another country, but when this movement affected their own lands, they grabbed their forks, swords or whatever they could and opposed it even with the price of their life. Most of you guys support WikiLeaks because it hasn't yet affected you, because you think you're safe, because you're in control, when a leak regarding your country will appear, yes you could say to your government what they should do and they will blindly follow you... be serious people. The English students are protesting the fourth time in 1-2 months against the augmentation of the university fees. Nothing has changed, probably the governement will do some lame concession, the students will be satisfied - it's still called manipulation. Or maybe the government will cancel the law, but the problem won't be solved. So either way everyone loses.

Secondly, I just heard russ and Darth considering bringing terrorism into discussion another Godwin's law. I'm suprised they haven't noticed an even more eyecatching example that was brought earlier into discussion - freedom and the right to information. This is the real Godwin's law that every wikileak supporter is constantly bringing up. Lately it is done purely automatic, and the countries that are renowned for freedom and transparence (Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden etc) have the most indifferent inhabitants of the entire Europe.

Probably I should stop now, cause this debate is pretty useless. Nobody will change their view on things and probably both sides are right in their own way, although neither has a grasp on the consequences that their attitude can have to later developments.