Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Lately, I've purchased a new game named City Life. If you didn't hear about this game, it's just like a clone of Sim City, but instead of focusing on the city as an administrator, you focus on the city as a humanitarian and must agence everything so the six types of people who can come to your city coexist in peace.

However, what I have to say about this game doesn't really turn around gameplay... Which is a shame, because it does look interesting and quite original, and the game run quite smoothly when it does run... No, what I have to say about this is, unfortunatly, what doesn't work in the game... Namely, those incredible brains behind the creation of the game didn't think valid or usefull to code the game so it would be possible for a Windows user to be able to tab back to the desktop without crashing the game, or that it would not be important to see that the game is able to run without interferences from the most popular apps (free or not) available on the web those days. In my case, Zone Alarm... (which is a fricking firewall, if you by any chance didn't know what it is... And one of the most, if not the most, popular free firewall around.)

Worse than that, even though it's quite bad already, when I got to the official site forum to try to get a fix to the problem I had which completely stopped me from playing the game, I got a kind of "lecture" on how about the games were all tested on "vanilla" computers (which basically mean stripped down as much as possible of any kind of content everybody else use those days), that the guy who was answering back to me had about 20 years of playtester and game developper under his belt (like I care? I'm there to get a fix on a problem which stop me from playing the game!) and that it's very standard to assume that all (and I really mean all from what he was saying) gamers just turn their internet down along with all their apps when playing games. Any game.

I just can't stop thinking that I should even be insulted to have such a stupid answer served back to me, but then reality settle in... And I just can't pretend here, I'm not really surprised about all this. Not that I think that it's alright or even should happen in PC gaming to have developpers to even think that way... But y'know, I've been so disapointed by several points in PC gaming in those past few years that nothing much surprise me anymore. All I seem to get is a very bland taste in my mouth, memories of the golden age of PC gaming (which seem to have been around the 90's and never got back) and a fatality settling more and more in front of me: I must now be too old to continue to walk the path of the gamer.

Yeah... Too old... Why else would I just then say "screw this, another 20 bucks wasted" instead of jumping at the barricades like I used to do in the past, claiming at everybody else in range how sucky aforementioned game is and why they should not bother buying it (thus saving them from the same mistake), which in turn would either show said producers around or maybe drive them near or even out of business. Why else?

Because I can. But have I just became with time too greedy with my gaming that I can't take an original game at the cost of having other parts of the game which are clearly out of date, like I've seen regularly in the past? Or is it really a problem that the producers decided to take out of the way by trying to make other people beleive what they think other people should think?

Truth is... I just don't care anymore...