Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
Japo
Autonomous human

Are you sure you're using the same diskette?

Very old 3½'' diskettes held data on one side only and had half the capacity. "High/double density" floppies with 1.44 MB capacity were identified mechanically by the drive from a hole they had, through the side opposite to the write protection switch.

If the floppy disc doesn't have that hole it means it's single-density and isn't supposed to have 1.44 MB capacity, but only half as much just like you're getting. Are you using the same diskettes that once had 1.44 MB?

The pin that fits in the hole could be stuck so that all floppies are detected as single-density even if they have the hole; I guess that may be a possibility. It wouldn't be surprising a mechanical malfunction of a moving part in a machine that old.
Old 21-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
mickketto

For The Fift:No change in the BIOS but do not read more Floppy 1.44

Hello Japo, could also be a mal functioning of the floppy drive, yet today I have a floppy from 1.44 in 1991 and read no more, but first I would check the BIOS.
mickketto is offline                         Send a private message to mickketto
Old 22-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First thing to try is a different floppy drive.
It can be a drive malfunction or a motherboard malfunction.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
mickketto

My problem is to solve the BIOS, then the Floppy.
mickketto is offline                         Send a private message to mickketto
Old 26-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #25
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

*sigh*
You apparently didn't get most of what was said. To recap:

* The BIOS in your machine is not configurable. Everything is set by switching the jumpers on the motherboard instead.

* That BIOS is OLD. BIOSes that old can only be updated by being physically replaced. Assuming that it's really what's at fault here to begin with.

* It's very likely that the cause of your problem with the floppy drive is the floppy drive iself. Check the drive with a different cable first, if that made no difference check with a different drive to eliminate this possibility.

Quote:
first I would check the BIOS
Quote:
My problem is to solve the BIOS, then the Floppy.

As you said yourself, the problem is that your floppy drive stopped reading larger disks.
When attempting to resolve hardware problems, it is standard procedure to first check the least expensive and most easily replaceable components.
Unless you have a spare BIOS chip for that motherboard - or an entire different motherboard to test the floppy drive with - that means first the cable connecting the drive with your motherboard and then the drive itself.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 26-05-2009 at 07:30 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #26
mickketto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
*sigh*
You apparently didn't get most of what was said. To recap:

* The BIOS in your machine is not configurable. Everything is set by switching the jumpers on the motherboard instead.

* That BIOS is OLD. BIOSes that old can only be updated by being physically replaced. Assuming that it's really what's at fault here to begin with.

* It's very likely that the cause of your problem with the floppy drive is the floppy drive iself. Check the drive with a different cable first, if that made no difference check with a different drive to eliminate this possibility.

As you said yourself, the problem is that your floppy drive stopped reading larger disks.
When attempting to resolve hardware problems, it is standard procedure to first check the least expensive and most easily replaceable components.
Unless you have a spare BIOS chip for that motherboard - or an entire different motherboard to test the floppy drive with - that means first the cable connecting the drive with your motherboard and then the drive itself.
Ok,it seems that the problem is the Boot EPROM that is gone, that's why I can not enter the BIOS Setup.

I'm buying a Willem programmer, 27C256 buy a virgin and will try, even if some of you have already done give news, in this area.
However you do know ...
Old 27-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickketto View Post
Ok,it seems that the problem is the Boot EPROM that is gone, that's why I can not enter the BIOS Setup.

I'm buying a Willem programmer, 27C256 buy a virgin and will try, even if some of you have already done give news, in this area.
However you do know ...
Whoa.
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 29-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #28
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

hahaha