Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-04-2005, 03:05 AM   #1
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

Hi everyone. I've downloaded Legacy and have been trying to run it, but after the intro it drops me right back to my desktop. I saw someone else's post about running it in VDMsound and so I tried that, but the same thing happened. After doing this I went to the Install button, thinking maybe it wasn't fully installed, and was told that I didn't have enough memory and that I didn't have EMS whatever that is. So....I guess I need to free up memory and find out what EMS is and how to get it for my computer. Could you guys give me some ideas as to how to do these two things? Also, if anyone has installed and played this game, can you tell me how you got it to run?

Thanks so much,
Tracy
enchantedmoons is offline                         Send a private message to enchantedmoons
Old 24-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Flop
Hero Gamer

Alright, I'm a bit wary to try to help you out, since I've tried to help others to no avail. But I'm gonna try anyway.

First of all, the game is installed from the very beginning, so don't worry about that. Second of all, I've never managed to run this game using VDMSound, despite a lot of attempts, so if I was you I'd drop trying that right away. I've only ever managed to run it using DOSbox, so I'd try that before anything else. You can find instructions here. If that doesn't work, feel free to ask for more help (I won't be able to help you beyond this, but maybe someone else willl).
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 24-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #3
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

Thanks, Flop. I appreciate your help. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Tracy
enchantedmoons is offline                         Send a private message to enchantedmoons
Old 24-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Flop
Hero Gamer

No problem. But this game is very difficult to get to run on some systems, and I truly don't know why. Personally I had know problem running it, but others have found it impossible to run.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 25-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
enchantedmoons
Forum hobbit

It is hard to run for some reason. Not sure if it's because I have XP or what, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to wait to play this one until I can buy an older machine with an even older OS like Win95.

Thanks anyway for your help, it's great to know that you guys are out here in case I need ya.

Take care and thanks again,
Tracy
Old 25-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DosBox. k:

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, it does run in DosBOX, but also not flawlessly. It took me a while to get it working. I've given some info about this at the review, but it seems that my settings do not work for everyone... Too bad. It's tricky to get it running, but well worth it IMHO... Try fiddling with the memory settings if you're using VDMSound and with the sound-emulation if you're using DOSBox!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 25-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
omg
Games Master

hey, try it in dfend, is a wicked frontend that makes editing those config files a fast an painless process, it also makes open gl an direct draw a breze 2, check my tutorial out if you wanna know more.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 25-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

@Reup: The thing with the sound is that the emulation and the settings in the game config must match _perfectly_. Otherwise expect trouble. Nuff said.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman