Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Frostfell

Default Quiz players - your motivation for playing?

I realized today that I started playing the screenshot quiz on a daily basis almost 7 years ago. This week I managed to creep up 1 position on the leaderboards, but it took me almost a year to do this (I'm at #44 now, woohoo!). This made me wonder: who are my "opponents" ?

My main motivation for playing is a shot of much needed nostalgia everyday before I go to work. Sometimes screenshots bring back memories of happy times and sometimes this even makes me download and play a game in the evening. I even try out games I never played as a kid, because I like the artwork. Very motivational!

As I didn't play all the games on Abandonia when I was younger, I consider myself a mediocre quiz player: some weeks I only guess one screenshot (after 20 minutes of browsing through the database), some weeks I manage 5 out of 7.

So who are all you other players? How long have you been playing? Are the people with the higher rankings still playing actively? Would love to read your stories.
Frostfell is offline                         Send a private message to Frostfell
Old 16-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

My rating (and most of top 10, as far as I know) is not from quiz but rather from other activities. I am playing it sometimes, when I am know or can guess the answer, but nothing serious.
Old 17-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I don't even think about it, I just play it. Habit, I guess.
Don't know all the answers and I never spent more than couple of minutes searching in case I'm not sure but I have a feeling that a similar game could lead me to the right answer.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 17-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile My precious!... Piece of Eight! Gollum! Gollum!

Well, there are some reasons for this:

• To know games that I do not know ;

• Remembering old and dear games (aka Good Old Games) because of nostalgia ;

• Sense of Challenge ;

• Rank new positions in Ranking of Piece of Eight ;

• Surpass my rivals! Bonk! Bonk! Bonk!

Last edited by Mystvan; 18-02-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 19-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Frostfell

Nice to read this! We're not so different after all...
Frostfell is offline                         Send a private message to Frostfell
Old 23-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Thumbs up My precious!... Piece of Eight! Gollum! Gollum!

I am glad you liked the posts. I am currently battling my Twinsen (from Twinsun) (Battles of Destiny) for Supremacy and Global Domination.

My Twinsen is very Relentless, but I have always surpassed my rivals, because I am also Relentless... Please do not miss the next episode of Twinsen’s Odyssey! Bonk! Bonk! Bonk!
Old 25-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Bonk
Forum hobbit

I think I play it mostly out of habit now, as I enjoy the quiz for many years now . And also with a bit of ambition to get to higher ranks.
Many times, when I didn't know the answer right away, I spent good amounts of time searching through the archives to find the screenshot. Often starting with a game that looks like it could fit the genre and clicking through several levels of "If you like this game, you will also like..." until I find it. And in doing this I stumbled upon many interesting games I never heard of before, so it's always fun and a great bit of nostalgia.
Clearly I spent way too much of my time with this

And congratulations to you, Mystvan, for surpassing me in rank yesterday . I know it took you a lot of patience, as you had to wait for the few days when I was not online and missed the quiz (damn real life interfering with the online fun)
So don't miss any quizes Mystvan, I will stay right at your heels, waiting for my chance to catch up with you again.
Hey, we're only 2000 points behind Ermuli now, let's see if we can catch him next. Will take us at least another year...
Bonk is offline                         Send a private message to Bonk
Old 25-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk View Post
I think I play it mostly out of habit now, as I enjoy the quiz for many years now . And also with a bit of ambition to get to higher ranks.
Many times, when I didn't know the answer right away, I spent good amounts of time searching through the archives to find the screenshot. Often starting with a game that looks like it could fit the genre and clicking through several levels of "If you like this game, you will also like..." until I find it. And in doing this I stumbled upon many interesting games I never heard of before, so it's always fun and a great bit of nostalgia.
Clearly I spent way too much of my time with this

And congratulations to you, Mystvan, for surpassing me in rank yesterday . I know it took you a lot of patience, as you had to wait for the few days when I was not online and missed the quiz (damn real life interfering with the online fun)
So don't miss any quizes Mystvan, I will stay right at your heels, waiting for my chance to catch up with you again.
Hey, we're only 2000 points behind Ermuli now, let's see if we can catch him next. Will take us at least another year...
Thank you for the warning. You were surely my most formidable and fearsome rival so far. I always thought “When will I surpass Bonk?”

To tell you the truth, I only missed a quiz in 2009.

Let’s hope to get higher rankings, since all the big shots have no interest in responding to the screenshot quiz.

And, finally, let’s hope we get well and healthy in the future. And get more Pieces of Eight!
Old 26-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile My precious!... Memories! Gollum! Gollum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Thank you for the warning. You were surely my most formidable and fearsome rival so far. I always thought “When will I surpass Bonk?”

To tell you the truth, I only missed a quiz in 2009.

Let’s hope to get higher rankings, since all the big shots have no interest in responding to the screenshot quiz.

And, finally, let’s hope we get well and healthy in the future. And get more Pieces of Eight!
I am not sure, but I believe I started playing quizzes in mid-2009 (when?)

And I only missed 1 quiz since 2009 (After I started playing quizzes).

Up, Up, and Away!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:56 AM   #10
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Unhappy My precious!... Advices! Gollum! Gollum!

Quote:
Many times, when I didn't know the answer right away, I spent good amounts of time searching through the archives to find the screenshot. Often starting with a game that looks like it could fit the genre and clicking through several levels of "If you like this game, you will also like..." until I find it. Clearly I spent way too much of my time with this
As your Twinsen (from Twinsun), I am very worried about you. Please do not waste your time looking desperately for the answer , relax and enjoy . The answer is out there. Or rather, “The Truth Is Out There”. Enjoy life, for it is short and brief.

Quote:
I was not online and missed the quiz (damn real life interfering with the online fun)
No, you are wrong. The Work ennobles and dignifies the human being. It shows professional and social achievement in doing good to others and being useful to society. Good job! Keep it up man!

Quote:
Please do not be anxious and impatient for the answer. Haste is the enemy of perfection. Fear not! I will carry your burden. And I will also carry your cross. As your Twinsen (from Twinsun), I will find the answer for us. And I will guess the quiz alone. I will take full responsibility.