Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #421
Runespawn

Send a message via MSN to Runespawn

Quote:
This all depends on what you are using to run the game, for instance; are you using Windows XP/2000? If so, are you using DosBox or another type of DOS emulator?

Because from observing many (and I mean many!) past problems, people generally receive more trouble from a DOS emulator rather than a DOS shell (Windows 98, 95...you know, old stuff).

The only thing I could really tell you is that the default settings for sound cards are Sound Blaster (or 100% compatible) with port address 220 and my IRQ is 5. I dunno, it could be alot of things...but if you have those settings selected, then the sounds should work...

P.S.: Congratulations on buying a brand-new copy of Blood instead of downloading a warez torrent, you're doing Monolith a big favor .
[/b]
Yeah, cheers! I got it off eBay from Canada (I think) but I didn't think I'd win it - I just put a max bid of $40 and I won. I've never played the whole thing from start to finish, so I'm looking forward to it.

Anyhoo, enough chit-chat. I tried that and it works as smooth as butter on dosbox (runs okay on XP too, but still has a broken sound and a dash of slowdown) but with one small problem: no music. Now as far as I remember, Blood doesn't have much music in it (correct if applicable) but when I tested the card (the Soundwave one sounded better than the barely audible Sound Blaster, so I used that and it was fine in setup) and then saved and launched the game, there was no music. As I said, I don't remember much of the music from the game but I know the first level has 'cos it creeped the hell out of me (very Hallowe'en-esque gothic keyboardy stuff!). I need the FEAR!!! Although Caleb's one-liners are a laugh and a half on their own (press the activate key beside the grave in the secret area just as you leave the crypt where the first level starts and he says 'Nevermore...'. Brilliant!)....

Basically, fine in testing/setup, no music in game.
Runespawn is offline                         Send a private message to Runespawn
Old 27-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #422
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Might sound stupid... but did you check the music volume?
And, is the game set to use IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220 in the soundcard configuration (these are defaults for DosBox)?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #423
Runespawn

Volume's up full - I even turned the sound effects down but to no avail. Tried entering that address but there's still no music. And by the way, after I launch the game, the GT Interactive and Blood screens don't come up after the Monolith screen, why is this? Have I installed the game incorrectly (bear in mind, it works rather poorly on XP and it's supposed to work fine)?

I know that sounds confusing, but this is what's happening!
Runespawn is offline                         Send a private message to Runespawn
Old 18-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #424
Runespawn

Anyone have any ideas?!
Old 18-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #425
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

when setting music card (its different than sound effects card), use Aldib ..and then check volume for MIDI out=) ("SW synth" in winXP)

by the way, for Blood i d recommend you "VDM sound" http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs ..or better, install windows98
Old 19-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #426
AnandVVN

A 3D shooter which can make you afraid at times , well I admit I got scared at times when playing, especially when some of the bat like statues that suddenly get alive and attack. There are ghosts dressed like monks, zombies having AXE in their hands, fire breathing creatures. Then the best enemy is hell hand, its just a wrist not the whole hand, its love to strangle.
The graphics are excellent. The music that deserves a praise, it really adds that horror element into the game and blends very well with the game. The lighting effects are worth noticing in this game and enhances the scary factor of the game. This game too has funny one-lines and witty comments just like Duke had. I love the pitchfork and the tommy gun. If you want you can play football with the head of that AXE holding Zombie. It is scary, very violent, gory, very gory. Though scared, I enjoyed playing it.
AnandVVN is offline                         Send a private message to AnandVVN
Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #427
die k-fed

so i have had this game for ages but have never been able to get it running properly, i dont seem to have a problem with the sound in setup because both soundblaster and gravis ultrasound test fine and sound normal.
but when im playing the game in dosbox its really slow and choppy, as is the sound playback. By the way im also using dfend because i hate using dos and cant really remember how to use it and im too lazy to experiment with it, i have played with the settings a bunch of times in dfend but i have very little improvement, is there anything specific i should know to make it run?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #428
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Try increase the cycles in DOSBox, and/or experiment with the core in the DOSBox config. Mind you, if the cycles are set too high, the chopping sound may return. It's a matter of balancing between too slow speed or too fast. Also, keep in mind that DOSBox is rather resource hungry, so you might experience nuisances if your machine isn't in the upper range.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #429
tormentor

This is one of the greatest games of all time

Blood 2 is pretty cool but I think it is no where near as good as the original

Love that sawed off shotgun!!!
tormentor is offline                         Send a private message to tormentor
Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #430
Geckotide

Sounds awesome, I'll have to try it
Geckotide is offline                         Send a private message to Geckotide