Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #21
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post
I got rid of most of my CD-ROM games... I still keep a plastic case with a few of them, mostly Apogee budget editions plus some "classics" such as "TekWar" and "Lamborghini".

Ironically, what I don't "keep" anymore is my CD / DVD drive. It still resides in my PC tower, but I had to use its cables for another harddrive so it's pretty much useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
Just a suggestion and my own personally point of view. You should install a flip switch for your power cable to your hard drive and use the second hard drive for a backup. The reason for the flip switch is so that you can turn off the power to the backup drive in an instant. Once that is done you can run all your softwares without fear of the backup being lost too.
Neville Longbottom , I would have suggestions on the solutions I adopted for this problem:

• External Hard Drive: serve as backup and have portability. The disadvantages would be the material susceptible to falls, slowness and the possibility of data loss in a blackout and theft case.

• Storing data in the cloud as Dropbox. It is great, you can access it anywhere in the world without having to carry it, the secure data on Dropbox servers, 2-step access security. The disadvantages would be the cost of the service, paid monthly or annually, data loss (very rare occurrence) on Dropbox servers.

My brother and I compared storage services in the cloud and Dropbox is the big winner. OneDrive does not have all the options and sync quality of Dropbox. Unfortunately, neither OneDrive nor Google Drive are match for Dropbox.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 15-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
Neville
Super Freak

I do have two external harddrives, which I use to store TV stuff and films. There's plenty of space in them, so I can always backup my essentials (My documents, etc.) into them should the need arise.

I don't trust much cloud services, a lesson learned from the Megaupload era. I also don't consider them an option at the moment because my connection has a decent download speed, but the upload speed plain sucks.
Neville is offline                         Send a private message to Neville
Old 15-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Neville Longbottom , I would have suggestions on the solutions I adopted for this problem:

• External Hard Drive: serve as backup and have portability. The disadvantages would be the material susceptible to falls, slowness and the possibility of data loss in a blackout and theft case.

• Storing data in the cloud as Dropbox. It is great, you can access it anywhere in the world without having to carry it, the secure data on Dropbox servers, 2-step access security. The disadvantages would be the cost of the service, paid monthly or annually, data loss (very rare occurrence) on Dropbox servers.

My brother and I compared storage services in the cloud and Dropbox is the big winner. OneDrive does not have all the options and sync quality of Dropbox. Unfortunately, neither OneDrive nor Google Drive are match for Dropbox.
Dear Myst,

Although OneDrive free if you use less than 15 GB is limited it is free and works for limited backup purposes if you need less than 15 GB.

Neville: I don't trust online servers either however I try to cover all my loopholes. My permanent solution is CD/DVD [but not RW (ReWritable) ones]. Make sure you look for the label RW on your CD and DVD you buy. If it is RW it could be erased easily!

I am just grateful in the 30 years I've used computers give or take a big period of rest that what was lost doesn't really matter. Something new always comes to replace the old unfortunately if you are old [I miss my grandparents].
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 16-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #24
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
Dear Myst,

Although OneDrive free if you use less than 15 GB is limited it is free and works for limited backup purposes if you need less than 15 GB.

Neville: I don't trust online servers either however I try to cover all my loopholes. My permanent solution is CD/DVD [but not RW (ReWritable) ones]. Make sure you look for the label RW on your CD and DVD you buy. If it is RW it could be erased easily!

I am just grateful in the 30 years I've used computers give or take a big period of rest that what was lost doesn't really matter. Something new always comes to replace the old unfortunately if you are old [I miss my grandparents].
Okay, Captien Bible . But in my opinion, Dropbox is better at reliability, options than OneDrive. Not to mention that Microsoft 2-step security is pretty bad. It is the worst!

In relation to the media, I believe they are out of date. Why?

• They are slow to be written and to copy data to the PC ;

• They are also very sensitive, as it has happened that the media could be illegible over time ;

• And not to mention that the quality media (Verbatim) are very expensive for what they offer .

Thus, I prefer pen drives, memory cards and external hard drives. Or use Dropbox because I use the paid version 4 years and a half ago and there have never been any problems with my account.

Of course there may be problems with some users, but the percentage will be very small. And not to mention that you can activate 2-step security to increase security.

In the beginning, there in the previous years, the security code took time to arrive your SMS. Now, the arrival is almost immediate!
Old 18-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #25
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

I forgot to add you could also encrypt folders and files on the HDDs.

I think it is an exaggeration, because I doubt that a highly specialized hacker would like to squeeze home user data.

Only the lamers and noobs try to use social engineering and other tricks to try to deceive the unwary.

And without mentioning that in case you forget the password that unlocks your personal data, simply pull the hair and break your head on the wall...

I back up both through physical storage and cloud storage via Dropbox. I’ve already suffered data loss from HDD, but thank goodness I’ve never had data loss in the cloud. The only complaint I have is that during synchronization, sometimes file conflict occurs (I forgot the correct term).

EDIT:

One thing I appreciated on Windows Phone would be its integration with Outlook (Webmail) and OneDrive. But only this. Because the syncing of files and photos is not as good as I expected.

Last edited by Mystvan; 18-10-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #26
Lora
Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Lora Send a message via Skype™ to Lora

I'll consider it, but I don't think I'll do that. I just suck at manual stuff. I plan to upgrade my computer soon, so I may ask the tech guys to do that for me.
Lora is offline                         Send a private message to Lora
Old 24-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #27
tomvdj

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'd love to have a copy of the BIN/CUE of this Lemmings version. Somebody can upload this again, please?
tomvdj is offline                         Send a private message to tomvdj
Old 25-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

My bet is Archive.org. (Yes, I checked.
Old 25-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #29
tomvdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
My bet is Archive.org. (Yes, I checked.
I found an img file there, but dosbox doesn't recognize the audio (if there is any in there). Any idea how to convert the img to a bin /cue? Since the img is over 300 MB, I guess the audio must be in there?
tomvdj is offline                         Send a private message to tomvdj
Old 28-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #30
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

You need two files for img. One is image itself (that is .img), and second is topology file. Most often it's .ccd, but .cue will work too. (Inside last one you can see also what is on disc, as cue gives it in plain text).

In our case it is:

FILE "AZ_2246.img" BINARY
TRACK 1 MODE1/2352
INDEX 1 00:00:00
TRACK 2 AUDIO
INDEX 0 00:11:00
INDEX 1 00:13:00
TRACK 3 AUDIO
INDEX 1 00:55:02
TRACK 4 AUDIO
INDEX 1 01:38:04
TRACK 5 AUDIO