_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

racist
Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #462
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Neophyte.

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 13-02-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #463
Philos73
Question How to defeat the Arborils?

Hello guys,

I usually don't have trouble defeating any AI in this game but there are games where I simply cannot get my hands on the Arborils. Their Lane blockers seem to last indefinitely and I just cannot get to their systems.

This is especially nasty when you start in a cut-off region of the map and your only way out of that corner is through one single starlane that happens to be blocked by the Arborils.

I've tried firing Lane Destabilizers at the blocked Lane entries but that doesn't change anything - still can't enter those lanes.

Has anyone figured this out? If so - I'd like to know.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #464
Juogo

Hi Guys,

some question, i dont really know which building is usefull for what, is there any description around?

it will be very usefull

thx
Juogo is offline                         Send a private message to Juogo
Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #465
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juogo View Post
Hi Guys,

some question, i dont really know which building is usefull for what, is there any description around?

it will be very usefull

thx
I think right-clicking on an object in the building list opens a windows that tells what building is of what use.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #466
Juogo

i tryed ^^

it closed the current window :/
Juogo is offline                         Send a private message to Juogo
Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #467
Philos73

@Juogos

You can get that info when you enter the screen for building new structures - where you get the list of buildings you can build on a square. Then hover your mouse over an item in the list and SHIFT-CLICK (hold down shift and then click). This will display info on the building you are hovering the mouse cursor on. The Tutorial also tells you about the shift-click function. It's just not available for buildings that have already been constructed.

Of course you first have to research a new building type before you can get that information.

However there is something else available for buildings that have already been constructed. If you invade an enemy planet and left-click on an existing building it will tell you the color of the square the building has been built on. This is very useful since the AI builds all kinds of stuff on the wrong kinds of squares. So if you find a Hydroponifier on a red square you might wanna change that. You'll find just about everything on every type of square. There will be outposts on blue squares (where you would rather want to have a lab or a research campus). Even with the maintenance patch you find this kind of nonsense. I wonder why they ever called it a "maintenance" patch since it does not solve the AI maintenance problem.

I do like the Antagonizer patch though. Still does not solve the AI maintenance weakness but the bonuses they get make them harder opponents.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #468
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juogo View Post
i tryed ^^

it closed the current window :/
Sorry for the wrong advice, dude. LOL

Have you played the tutorial? I think it's mentioned in there.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #469
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Like Philos73 said already, use the shift-click to bring the ingame help up.
Old 16-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #470
Philos73
Question Ship Stats Display limits

Hello guys,

even though I answered Juogo's question I'm still a bit of a Newbie at this game myself.

So noone seems to have figured out my question on the Arbryls above? There is no way to unblock a lane blocked by the Arbryls? If they block the only lane out of a restricted area you cannot get out? Well, I abandoned the game in question and started a new one. Doesn't happen all of the time. Still kinda bugs me that I cannot get my hands on the Arbryls homeworld...

Now I have another question as well. The game limits the display on ship stats. If you build giant ships you can easily reach the limit of the display for energy supply and for weapon power. For instance if you put 8 to 10 Van Creek Hyper Splicers into a ship this will exceed what can be displayed in terms of generator power in the ship strength display.

My question now is - is that energy still available in battle just the same or does the program simply cut off what is in excess of what can be displayed? The extra energy is actually needed in battles. That way you can keep your shields up longer than the enemy does. The AI seems to tend to build underpowered ships.

It does work with the weapons though, since each weapon slot is handled separately. For example if you have more than 6 Hyper Drivers (or even stronger weapons) the weapon strength of your ship will exceed what can be displayed in the ship strength diagram. You can still use all these weapons as long as you have enough energy - but the question is - does it work likewise with the generator power?

The problem does not arise with shields and with propulsion speed though. I found out there is no use in putting more than 2 shields into any ship since it's more a question of having enough juice to keep them powered up than a question of absolute shield strength.

Same thing with the propulsion drives (intra starsystem drives). Once you have the Ion Banger (and that comes along early in the game) there is no need to use more than one propulsion drive on any ship. Normally only my very first ship will have the Tonklin motor. And that will be a small ship - since my homeworld will still be in the build-up process. As soon as I build my second ship I already have the Ion Banger - so I never need more than one propulsion drive. It is possible to bust the display limit for shield strength and propulsion strength as well - it just doesn't make sense to put in that many of these two. So the only problem is knowing whether generator strength actually gets wasted once you fit in more than can be displayed in the diagram.