Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

That's the problem, see. By adding a chorus, it loses that poem-style I want and instead ends up as an "ordinary song", second it breaks up the pace and the continuity in the verses. Thirdly, it simply would become too long. So sorry, I really don't want a chorus on this one.

Instead of pairing the verses up, they could come "on a line", so to speak, but only if the melody and mood progression makes it interesting. This is more what I'm looking for, really.

EDIT: Here's some examples of "Stones": http://www.joxter.net/
Old 23-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #12
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

It isn't adding a chorus that makes a poem t an ordinary one. It's the metre, the rythm and the syntax that make a poem to a good one...
Surely it should have some background, too...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 27-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #13
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Sorry MM, but I have some things to do these days. I'm moving back to campus this weekend, so I gotta prepare my things...and myself...

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, you are more interested in a classic, medieval style ballad, rather than a orchestral or more rocky one. To tell you the truth, I voulanteered to compose a music for you, because I saw a great challenge in it. (and I wanted to try out my new orchestra VSTi ) I mean I never composed a ballad before, so I thought I try myself out in this too. Composing electronic and disco music is just too easy, and frankly it gets boring after a while.

But I don't know a thing about composing classic medieval ballad. I mean, I like to experiment, but that genre is a little bit too restricted for me I guess, like you said to my, that you want it more to be like that Stone song.

So here's the deal. I can continue to work on my kinda song, and I take your wishes into consideration in the process. OR I can start to compose a medieval style ("trad ballad" as you said) song, but I don't guarantee ANYTHING, and I mean it. I have only a very faint idea of how to do that. Alternatively, you can bail me outta the project, and save yourself the trouble LOL

So? k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 28-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #14
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Hey man, thanks! I won't "bail you out" Look, even if you don't "commit" yourself to this, any suggestion, even the one before, is helping me. It would be great if you found a melody, but don't lose sleep over it, ok? LOL
Old 28-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

If you have a playstation 2, then go and buy music 4000. its so easy to use and you can make any music you like.
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 28-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Quote:
If you have a playstation 2, then go and buy music 4000. its so easy to use and you can make any music you like.[/b]
composing music with Playstation?!?!? mg2:
Maaan, I really hope you are not serious...

@MM

Cool! k: But you didn't answer my question dude. So what's it gonna be? My style with yer tips or the medieval style, which I don't even know where to start with. I only have until the end of the week, because I will move back to Veszprém and I don't have internet in my dig yet. Chance there won't be any for weeks. So I need as many guidelines as you can give regarding the song, so I can work on the project until I get a connection. Give me some ideas on what you would the song feeling to be like, rythm fast or slow, instruments... everything you can think of, so I'll have an idea of what to compose, I cannot do it blindly you know. tell me what you think of my example. What's good, what's not...

okay, I need to go now...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 29-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #17
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Ok, then. I rather prefer the "medieval" style"/folk/ballad made for "analogue" instruments like guitars and such. If I get Cakewalk working again, I can rush some rough sketches. They'll be in wav format (meaning they will be larger than mp3), then I could email you the sketches if you like.

Other than that, about one beat per 1.5 second I recon (kind of slow) will do. A straight 4/4 beat is also preferable.

If you want some extended ideas, I suggest the Dubliners' ballads (not the up tempo/rowdy ones, but the quiet ones), such as "In High Germany", "Foggy Dew", "Old Triangle" and "Raglan Road". "The Unquiet grave" could also be an inspiration.
Old 29-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #18
Koen
Game Wizzard

I'd like to give it a try. The lyrics allow alot and I have some good idea's on this one. I'll post something once I've got something going to see if you like it.
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 29-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #19
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Sounds great! k:

To all: Would you mind if your ideas and sketches were united into something?
Old 29-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #20
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

I don't know the Dubliners you are talking about, but I know what you mean by analog instruments. I'll try to put together some guitar riffs and some mild padding, maybe that will work out. Do something for me, listen to a song: Nightwish - Everdream, and tell me what do you think about the guitar part on the beginning, I'm thinking something like that one.

I don't know what you mean by unite things, but if that means mixing my music with someone else's...eeerm...I dunno. I don't like the idea that much, but if sounds good, I'm all for it.