Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #71
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno View Post
My brother had the original game cd and I remember bugs like your crossbow's captain and stats going funny from time to time. I think it sometimes happened when a units xp went beyond elite and could reset to the basic 'one skull'.
I remember that bug happening sometimes whenever I played the game, too. It's easy to fix though, you have to edit the stats of the unit in question, which are located in one of the savegame.x (x for the number of the file you saved) files. The file is in text format so it's easy to figure out, you just have to edit the particular unit in every location (it's more than one) in the file, not only one time, or the game will crash when loading that savegame.
Of course, nothing stops you from changing the stats of the unit whichever way you like...
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 25-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #72
samseaver

I've managed to get the non-iso version of this game to run, but when I enter the battlefield, the isometric display doesn't appear?! I can actually play the battle, and see the units moving in the overhead view, but I can't see the action itself!

I run the game with 256 colors and the 640x480 resolution, and I'm running it in Windows Vista, and I installed the WinG drivers and all, but it's still not show the isometric view :-(

Has anyone else had this problem?
samseaver is offline                         Send a private message to samseaver
Old 25-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #73
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samseaver View Post
.... and I'm running it in Windows Vista ....
Best run it in VPC. (Works also in VPC+XP or W2k)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
+

Hmmmm, Ah well, maybe I should download it, probably won't find my CD in my archives, my archives kinda look as the Augean stables ....

Downloaded ISO:
click ->
Indeed, works flawless in VPC-W98SE.

[Edit]
BTW, if you like that game you really should download the full game from the ISO cellar, much better then the rip.
Also: use the CD image.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #74
samseaver

Default Working!

I'd like to say that I actually got it working without using Virtual PC on Windows Vista. It turns out that my problem was I was running Fifth Horseman's batch file without administrator privileges. Ordinarily, this wouldn't cause a problem, only that somewhere in his batch file was a command to copy some files into the Windows\System32 directory, and if you don't "run as administrator" then you get denied this, I actually didn't see the error on this, as I assumed it ran fine.

I got those last files copied, and it works just fine!
samseaver is offline                         Send a private message to samseaver
Old 26-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #75
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
I'd like to say that I actually got it working without using Virtual PC on Windows Vista.
If it's such a good idea to run those old games directly in a newer OS, that's another question.
After all, you run a W9X game on Vista, and W9X games are notorious system polluting softs.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #76
Shade_NL
Lurker

Quote:
I've managed to get the non-iso version of this game to run, but when I enter the battlefield, the isometric display doesn't appear?! I can actually play the battle, and see the units moving in the overhead view, but I can't see the action itself!

I run the game with 256 colors and the 640x480 resolution, and I'm running it in Windows Vista, and I installed the WinG drivers and all, but it's still not show the isometric view :-(

Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi,

Acctually, i do also have this problem. Very annoying. I just cant get it working right. I've won a few battles already but it just isn't the same.

Does somebody know how to fix this? I'm working on a vista with 256 color preferences, i am also downloading the full ISO, but it's taking a while. I've found multiple images of the game but they all give errors.

O, and you probably know by now. I know nothing about emulators, batch files etc etc. I just try to follow instructions.

I really hope you can help me!
Shade_NL is offline                         Send a private message to Shade_NL
Old 16-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #77
Biges

Oh, memories... for these who find the game too difficult - saved games and scenario files are in plain txt, so you can change various parameters - unit price, number of available reinforcements etc.
Biges is offline                         Send a private message to Biges
Old 23-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #78
apollo0681

Hi there just came accross thread have been trying for ages to get this working. I afraid i am not the best with computers. I have gotten to the point where when loading the first mission i get errors becuase it cant find certain files SOunds etc. im guessing this post below fixes this. However when i try to do it it just seems to break other things!

If someone has the time please to explain for me what exactly i need the registry file to say that would be great. i have simply installed the game into c:\rats

What it said before i broke it was

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ LocalDir]
@="c:\\rats "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ RemoteDir]
@="c:\\rats "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ SaveDir]
@="SAVE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ UpdateDir]
@=""

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
There seem to be different CD version floating around, the one I have doesn't have an ENG folder (stated in the original batch) so the one included on site by Ace works pretty fine with the full version. One thing though, you may encounter that unpretty sound file not found error, for that, you need to expand the registry entry the installer makes. I include mine as attachment, you have to change the paths to your installation directory.
apollo0681 is offline                         Send a private message to apollo0681
Old 24-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #79
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Replace c:\\rats by c:\\rats\\ (no space at the end!).

Replace SAVE by c:\\rats\\SAVE\\.

If there is a SOTHR subdirectory, you have to add SOTHR\\ to both.

You didn't post the whole REG file, did you? The other entries don't have to be changed, I just ask in case you missed the other entries miraculously.

[edit]
This is missing and to change:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ InstallDir]
@="D:\\SHARE\\SOTHR"

Now, please explain in detail what you have done till now.
[/edit]
Old 26-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #80
apollo0681

hi thanks for you help. good and bad news

The game no longer has an error messages. However when the 1st mission loads i just have a black screen rather than a battlefield. The minimap and the controls are there but no battlefield.

Below is the whole of my registry file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ LocalDir]
@="c:\\rats\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ RemoteDir]
@="c:\\rats\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ SaveDir]
@="c:\\rats\\SAVE\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ UpdateDir]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mindscape\WarHammerFB\ InstallDir]
@="D:\\SHARE\\SOTHR"
apollo0681 is offline                         Send a private message to apollo0681