Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #21
Zarkumo
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Apr 6 2005, 11:24 AM
Actually, Pizza was invented by Italians who had immigrated to America...
Do you seriously believe this? Pizza has been around in Italy itself for centuries man! There have been pizzerie as we know them today in Napoli since the beginning of the 19th century.

How come Americans think they have invented everything? Ford did NOT invent the car, he invented the belt conveyor and was therefore able to produce cars at an insane speed (for the time). The car itself was invented by German Daimler. Ferrari is an Italian and Porsche a German brand, they are not American.

When I spent a year in at a US high school people kept asking me whether we had electricity in Europe. Someone claimed we only eat bread cause we didn't have any vegetables.

Oh yeah, and French fries (also known as freedom fries ) come from Belgium, not France!

And why are the British so obsessed with Hitler? It emebarrassed the living muck out of me when I was in England (Bolton) and people kept asking me whether Hitler was still politically active and whether I would vote for him in elections. They talked about him infront of me, they must have thought Germans today still see a great leader and a great German in him, like as if we would take pride in that shitbag.
Zarkumo is offline                         Send a private message to Zarkumo
Old 06-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #22
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'd have to say the Hitler thing does embarrass me, I had my German exchange partner staying at my house last year, we were trying to find something to watch on TV when I noticed that almost half of the programmes were either a war film or a documentary about WWII! Every time we have a football match with the Germans the newspapers almost always draw comparisons with WWII and whenever anyone sees a German there's always someone there to make a smart-arsed comment on nazis or something, it really does irritate me!

Oh, and they're not called French Fries, they're called CHIPS!

EDIT: It does irritate me when Americans say Ben Franklin invented electricity, it was Ampere and Voltare - Italians!
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #23
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Electricity is a bit older then that... It was used for plating metal...
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 06-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #24
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Quote:
(Kon-Tiki @ Apr 5 2005, 10:56 PM)
I find it weird that Americans always have to drive everywhere, even the smallest distance.*
Yeah everything around where I live is way too spread out, you practically need to use the car to get around the city, which is annoying, as we have a ton of traffic. Plus our public transportation is still not up to par, where everyone can use it to go where they want.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 06-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #25
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I dont think electricity wasn't exactly invented.. I mean, lightning's a tad older than those guys..
Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #26
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

I find it wierd that India lets animals run things. I find it wierd that the British have their steering wheel on the other side of the car. The Swedish scare me. Thats about it.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #27
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

OK then, discovered. And being struck by lighting does not count as having discoved electricity.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #28
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Fawfulhasfury@Apr 6 2005, 03:46 PM
I find it wierd that India lets animals run things. I find it wierd that the British have their steering wheel on the other side of the car. The Swedish scare me. Thats about it.
1. Since when was India run by animals?
2. We have the steering wheel on the right hand side of the car because we drive on the left hand side of the road, unlike all you Yankees and Europeans who insist on driving on the wrong side despite all common sense :P
3. I'm with you on that one, as is most of the forum.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #29
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

He probably meant that they worship animals.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #30
Flop
Hero Gamer

I don't get why people think mayonaise on french fries is disgusting, when it's obviously delicious. In Denmark most people alternate between ketchup, mayonaise and remoulade on their french fries.

@puffin: It's true that some people drink a beer or two in their lunch break, but mostly the old school kind of guys. It's getting more and more uncommon, and a lot of places it isn't allowed. A friend of mine who is a painter (the kind who paints houses and stuff, not pictures), worked with guy who, whenever he had to paint a room, would put a beer in each corner. Then, when he had painted a wall and reached the next corner, he'd stop and drink the beer. That's overdoing it a bit IMO.

@Zarkumo: I recognize what you're saying about Americans thinking Europe is 200 years behind, technologically. I've met many an American (well, not many, but some) here in Denmark, who kindly told me that in America they didn't have to make their own pizzas, since they could just order one, and in America they didn't have to hang their clothes to dry, because they had this wonderful device called a dryer, etc. I do realise that this is a stereotype, and that most Americans aren't like this, but you guys should really take care not letting those people out of your country, as they make very poor representatives.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop