Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 AM   #311
Squalid Blaze

Hello, this has been my favorite download site for a while now, well done folks totally cool, so I thought it was time to regester and say thanks. I've been playing Acendancy for a week on and off and agree with the coments in this forum. Seems to be a brilliant game with appaling AI and the most tedious micro management I've ever seen. Can't even tell visually if something has been automated or not. If you think the end of a big Masters of Magic or civ 2 game was bad you ain't seen nothing. Somewhere else in this forum someone suggested that this would be a good one for the open source crowd, I agree - it would be one of the all time classics if only it was finished. Something similar to the way point system ( eg blaster bombs in X-com ) only done as development orders for planets would help, with maybe an ignore, resume or change function if interupted or out of population. In fact most games with resource management sections could use something like this. puzzles me why they don't. That said this game is excellent and definately worth a play. I do have one thing to offer as a game play hint, try playing the rodents. They are popular and their special ability is to make peace with all. I know that doesn't sound like much but I think that it makes them the best race in the game. Here's how. Do all the usual stuff but emphasise planet defences and exploration. Find everone else as fast as you can so given the choise between sending an empty ship home for more colonisers or exploring then explore. When you have found the others cuddle up to them, trade everything, go into the hotel trade. If anyone gives you trouble call in your mates. Then cherry pick the best of their planets, get an invasion force, or forces. ready and make sure it can take the planet, or planets, in one go. Also make sure that your special ability is charged up. Then hit them, they will declair war on the next round, hense the advice about defenses, after this happens force peace and build up for the next time the ability is charged up. If you're really fortunate you'll be up against one of the technology masters or planet improving types. This wouldn't work against a human or decent AI but ....nuf said. One cheeky rodent grin and they forgive anything. The buildings on all your new planets will be badly placed but it'll be a start and most of all it wasn't you that had to do all that tedious building work.
Squalid Blaze is offline                         Send a private message to Squalid Blaze
Old 14-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #312
Lloyd Christmas

Ok, I am at the last step where I actually launch the game (Everything else I did it and it worked. The game I downloaded was FlashBack, and the folder was called Flash. now I typed in cd flash and install and did the sound stuff. I then saved it, and it said to type FB in the command prompt. I did, and it launches the game, but it gives this blurry messed up image and just freezes it. Now is this because I have a router and need to enable some ports, or my firewall (which I have disabled), or I messed up in a part I don't know about in the tutorial. Here is an image.

Old 14-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #313
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I don't remember using DOSBox for Ascendancy, I used VDMSound with XP directly.
Old 14-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #314
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Erm, why ask about Flashback in the Ascendancy thread? No idea about your problem, but I don't see how it could possibly have anything to do with the router since it's a singleplayer game...
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 16-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally posted by Squalid Blaze@Mar 4 2006, 05:09 AM
Hello, this has been my favorite download site for a while now, well done folks totally cool, so I thought it was time to regester and say thanks.
I've been playing Acendancy for a week on and off and agree with the coments in this forum. Seems to be a brilliant game with appaling AI and the most tedious micro management I've ever seen. Can't even tell visually if something has been automated or not.
If you think the end of a big Masters of Magic or civ 2 game was bad you ain't seen nothing. Somewhere else in this forum someone suggested that this would be a good one for the open source crowd, I agree - it would be one of the all time classics if only it was finished. Something similar to the way point system ( eg blaster bombs in X-com ) only done as development orders for planets would help, with maybe an ignore, resume or change function if interupted or out of population.
In fact most games with resource management sections could use something like this. puzzles me why they don't.

That said this game is excellent and definately worth a play. I do have one thing to offer as a game play hint, try playing the rodents. They are popular and their special ability is to make peace with all. I know that doesn't sound like much but I think that it makes them the best race in the game. Here's how. Do all the usual stuff but emphasise planet defences and exploration. Find everone else as fast as you can so given the choise between sending an empty ship home for more colonisers or exploring then explore. When you have found the others cuddle up to them, trade everything, go into the hotel trade. If anyone gives you trouble call in your mates. Then cherry pick the best of their planets, get an invasion force, or forces. ready and make sure it can take the planet, or planets, in one go. Also make sure that your special ability is charged up. Then hit them, they will declair war on the next round, hense the advice about defenses, after this happens force peace and build up for the next time the ability is charged up. If you're really fortunate you'll be up against one of the technology masters or planet improving types. This wouldn't work against a human or decent AI but ....nuf said. One cheeky rodent grin and they forgive anything. The buildings on all your new planets will be badly placed but it'll be a start and most of all it wasn't you that had to do all that tedious building work.
I havent played this game in about 7 years now, but i seem to remember a small "*" somwhere if the planet was automated.

However, automation tends to move planets towards metropolises instead of habitat/megafactory/the uber research thing and so i dont recommend it, for that reason.

Micromanage for fun and profit!

Nice guide .

Old 24-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #316
legolas558

Red face

If you are looking for the lost Ascendancy I MODguide you can now download it from the

Trascendancy Project website

It is in the Downloads section, where you can get the older versions and the latest (version 0.5b updated by me)

If you make some cool MODs, tell me!
legolas558 is offline                         Send a private message to legolas558
Old 29-03-2006, 03:56 AM   #317
Adict

HELP no matter what i do i cant get the color to show up correctly. I have windows xp and i set the icon to run it in 256 colors but it still comes out with inverse colors so i cant read half of the writing. Please help me and tell me of any way you folks could think of how to fix this problem.

thanks

Old 29-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #318
legolas558

Use DOSbox instead
legolas558 is offline                         Send a private message to legolas558
Old 29-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #319
SirPeter
Abandonia nerd

Legolas maybe make a new thread in the programming subforum about the Mod on ascendancy. Maybe ppl are interested in joining this project
SirPeter is offline                         Send a private message to SirPeter
Old 22-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #320

how do you use dosbox