Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I just noticed that 500 out of 561 games reviewed on Abandonia appear to have a public rating of 3, which I find a bit odd. Opinions can't possibly be that balanced on 84 percent of the games, or am I just missing something very obvious? But if most games really do end up being publically rated at 3, the public rating isn't really all that informative any more, is it?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 27-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think this has to do with the limitations of the rating systems. It might be so that one game gets a 2.6 and another gets a 3.4, but both would be rated as a 3.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 27-07-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Probably five grades aren't enough... maybe 10...

Anyway this is a demonstration of the laws of probability!
Looking at all the games ratings, is the probability distribution a Gauss curve?
Old 27-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
DakaSha
Forum hobbit

Smile

it prob has alot to do with idiots that rate extreme... you like the game you give it a 5... you dont like the game you give it a 1...pff
DakaSha is offline                         Send a private message to DakaSha
Old 27-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, there's probably some Gauss thingy in there. But my question is, if all the public rating does is to demonstrate the laws of probability, will it actually be of any help to people browsing the site? It certainly wouldn't be to me...
I don't think having ten different grades would solve the issue, though; even the five we currently have aren't really all used: 1 isn't used at all at the moment (which makes sense, of course, because we don't really want to add bad games, do we?) and 2 is only used about five or six times (two or three of those are in public ratings).
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 27-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
DakaSha
Forum hobbit

hmm ok ill shut up

**EDIT**

or wait... you mean as a rating in the whole right? so no im right... gauss whatever my behind people just rate wrong.

**EDIT AGAIN**

since when is BU** a bad word? why did it change it to behind? thats wrong. ive never heard of a 5 year old get in trouble because he said it.
DakaSha is offline                         Send a private message to DakaSha
Old 27-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Funny, isn't it? This is the only place where you can be the behind of a joke.
Old 27-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

If i may state my opinion, i think it is a question of "average". many people doesn' t like to give "maximum" rating on any game, even if they liked it a lot - i know that because i am one of these (i never rated a game with "1", and i never rated a game with "5" :whistle: ok, maybe once or twice LOL )

so basicly, if someone rates game with a "4" and tought the game was pretty good, and someone that played the game and doesn' t think much of it rates it with "2", the average will became "3" (holly crap, i' m trying to explain that Gauss thing like if that was important )

Quote:
DakaSha* Posted on Jul 27 2005, 12:23 PM
* it prob has alot to do with idiots that rate extreme... you like the game you give it a 5... you dont like the game you give it a 1...pff
i think most people doesn' t rate extreme, so it is natural that most games present an average rating (something in the middle of the scale from "1" to "5" => "3")

i also think that if the ratings were from "1" to "10", most games would be rated at "6" or "7"
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 27-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Well, the rating system would be left for Kosta to solve, but I think it would be a good idea to use the rating system we use on AR.
Old 27-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

You could stick with 5 ratings but you don't have to use those pictures of numbers 1 to 5. Instead just have it written what the average is and take it 2 decimal places.

Could this be so hard to change to?
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow