Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #211
Scatty
Treasure hunter

They can be very tough if you're with the wrong level of characters too early in the wrong place. In general it's a much more strategic RPG than Ultima VIII as the battles are 1. turn-based in the game and 2. the combination of right spells available and cast + well-made, with good consideration put into them characters made at the beginning will bring you through many battles.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #212
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm,

maybe Ultima Underworld 1, 2 then will try?

And wait till I grow up mentally and physically..

You know me v. well yet, helping me in:

1. Arena (so diff. game, still non finished)
2. WoX
3. now in U8

Tell me yr honest feeling is humble yoga ready for Wizardry7 ?

I will accept any of verdicts..

Merci..
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #213
Wicky
the little viking

Wiz7 depends a lot on game technics, unfortunately.
You need to know which class can easily change class with which requirements, to maximize HP and spell damage output. But on top of that, you also need to know certain encounters ahead of time, basically it's just easy to be won if you play as if you played the second time. (if you know what i mean... uhm, like, carrying that wooden plank because you know, that in a few lightyears this plank will make a certain encounter, at some point of the game, more easy)

Overall, not a game for me. I started it with a recommended party (from dlh.net - dirty little helper, which specializes in cheats and sureproof walkthroughs) but at some point it just became boring. I do not recomment W7 because of it's abruptness in story line, ie. sword swinging fighters who suddenly encounter aliens with laserguns) but well I admit, that to many people who know the storyline beforehand it is very appealing, albeit depending on knowledge of the entire plot.

It is sure fun for the first 7-8 levels, and I spent lots of hours enjoying it, nonetheless. Still, despite all the fun, I always had this feeling growing up my spine which told me "You should restart, and make all choices better from where you began this time"... it's a creepy feeling, well, but it's unique to Wizardry7.

I recommend to rather play Ultima Underworld 1+2 and/or one of the more recognized RPG dungeon crawlers.

Last edited by Wicky; 07-03-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #214
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
Still, despite all the fun, I always had this feeling growing up my spine which told me "You should restart, and make all choices better from where you began this time"... it's a creepy feeling, well, but it's unique to Wizardry7..
I know exactly what you mean. Only I had this feeling with Wizardry 8 and quite strongly with Arcanum as it tends to get boring after some time of playing through and maxing the character level. Never with Wizardry VII though.

Quote:
I recommend to rather play Ultima Underworld 1+2 and/or one of the more recognized RPG dungeon crawlers.
I would humbly advice the same for you, Yoga. From what impression I seem to have got so far about you, this game might be way too difficult and confusing for you just yet, no offense meant whatsoever. It requires a lot of careful detail being put into consideration with creating player characters at the start, reading through the manual to choose for oneself what type of mage character would be "better" / more suitable, and all kinds of strategic considerations during combats, such as weapons used, their effect etc. etc. And I mean Ultima VIII is in my opinion quite more simple than Wizardy VIII.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #215
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Yeah, simply put Wizardry 7 (and 8) is a nutbuster. And somehow I still feel that self proclaimed prodigy D.W. Bradley should go back and learn something about game design I'd opt for UU1-2 as well, and maybe the lightweight alternative to Wizardry, Wizards & Warriors. It's a lot easier to get into, and I had tons of fun with that.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #216
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

After so competent and honest advises, the only action to do is:

Thank YOU very much, mates.

YOU save me lot of hours.

Will start UW1/2.

@Scatty, you helped me in Anvil of Dawn also..
Old 07-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #217
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
@Scatty, you helped me in Anvil of Dawn also..
Did I? I even never played that one yet Must have been long time ago, don't really remember it. But glad to have been of help.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #218
slavestate

Quote:
Wiz7 depends a lot on game technics, unfortunately.
You need to know which class can easily change class with which requirements, to maximize HP and spell damage output. But on top of that, you also need to know certain encounters ahead of time, basically it's just easy to be won if you play as if you played the second time.

Amen.. Im still crawling my way through the game I re-started a couple years ago (Just finished joining the Umpani army and running my errands for em)..
I remember when I bought it brand new and two days later I HAD to have my mom take me back to Software Etc to buy the clue book. I dont know how Sir-Tech ever expected anyone to get anywhere without it..

I just ran into that whole character class problem the other day and I just hit level 10 with all of my characters.. I used DSCHEAT to change my Fairie Priest into an Elf (so she can become a Valkyrie now) but even using the editor, there were still some numbers and attributes that were initially set because of my race that I couldnt change like the tiny carrying capacity a Fairie character gets (I liked the base AC it kept though hah).. Had to go through all the trouble of setting up a Virtual PC with WinXP so I could install the good old WizEdit (it wont install in a 64bit environment) and THAT one finally got it all back to normal..

This is just one of those tough old RPG's that even with using all the online help and info you can get the game is just written to be difficult.. Youll hit an encounter and get a group that absolutely lays waste to your party in 2 minutes.. Then re-load your savegame, hit the same encounter and this time its 2 lowly Vampire Rooks or something that you wipe out in 2 seconds.. Its all about how the game wants to go hehe.

Ive never played Cosmic Forge or #8 but the entire series has always been known as one of the most frustratingly difficult RPG's..
slavestate is offline                         Send a private message to slavestate
Old 23-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #219
Zalewa

Argghhhh... I feel like ranting right now.

Before I start I think that I should list all the RPG games that I've played and liked thus far, but, whatever...

Also spoilers inside.
Really small ones, I'm still at the beginning.

I've been playing this for three days now and I think that's enough to say a few words about this infuriating game. I've managed to get to the Orkogre castle and find the king and the Murkhatos ghost (or whatever he's called) and the chest where the map was supposed to be but it's not there anymore because somebody else took it (I bet that was this Ratsputin guy) and all of this while reading some of the most cringeworthy dialogs and narration in the gaming history.

My guys are all at 10 level and have 100 skill points with the weapons they use, yet for some reason they're unable to kill ork rangers and other monsters that are as difficult as 5 levels ago. Usually the game just says "Hit!" and then there's no damage displayed so I believe the hit was delivered but it didn't get past the monster's armor. I don't know where to get better weapons. New City's black market had had a flail that I bought for 1400GP but none of my characters is skilled with this, and even when the hit is delivered I can't see any difference.
It's a good thing that I discovered that you can have infinite surplus of Savant Troopers to slaughter if you use Black Waffer on the door in the Forbidden Zone. Each group gives me 3000 - 5000XP, unless too much enemies come out at once and I need to commit seppuku and try again.

And this brings me to another topic. Is it just me or were the battles in this game designed to WASTE as much time as possible? I'm not saying that I don't like the turn based mode. I mean, there was nothing wrong with battles in Fallout games or in Blade of Destiny. But here... let me just list some stuff:
  • GROUP ADVANCES! Oh yeah, this makes my rage meter go up to the Angry-Video-Game-Nerd level. You hear this ominous sound like the world is going to end and then you have to witness game sprites scrolling outside the screen and then scrolling back in. There's no way to skip this. No way at all! And sometimes when you're fighting 4 groups at once each group decides that it's their time to advance and you have to sit through all of this. Gods...
  • Where's the option "repeat last moves"? Where is it? Blade of Destiny had this, why can't this game have it?
  • Unskippable animations yet again.
  • I don't want my characters to die because this lowers their vitality. So each time monsters kill one of my heroes I have to sit through all of the remaining animations then press run run run run run terminate game die die die die die reload never meet the same group again because previously the game just decided that you were faring too well and it's time to kill you with 24 Savant Troopers...

I realize that back then some companies were still making games for smart people, unlike today where all games end within 6 hours and are made for hu-mans who can't tell a difference between a joystick and a joypad. However I believe there's a difference between making a game for smart people and forcing folks to write down whole sentences and then make them type this sentences back at the right moment or else they're screwed. This reminds me of Ultima V where messages were coded using runes and you had to manually decipher what the message does say. I didn't play Ultima V very long either...

Other nuisances:
  • I found a stash of "animal" meat. This was revealed to be Munk meat and Munk internal organs. I don't know what Sir-Tech defines to be an animal but Munks look pretty damn human to me. Disgusting.
  • Gorn. Oh dear. At the same time they steal Hobbits from Tolkien and then bother to rename Orks into Gorn. Oh, and then they call their castle OrkOgre...

I've even made a screenshot to show my friend what I'm spending time on (instead of doing something useful )

I wouldn't recommend this game even to my worst enemies...

After all of this I just want to press the delete button on the game's directory.
Zalewa is offline                         Send a private message to Zalewa
Old 24-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #220
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Nice decision

Many did incl. yoga..