Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
thecitycouldnotstop
Lurker

Send a message via MSN to thecitycouldnotstop
Arrow

It's not letting me save either! There was one game already saved under the name "John's save", and I've tried saving on top of that one, but I get an error message. I used it in XP first, and it would freeze up and shut down when I tried to save, so I tried the VDM which doesn't freeze up and shut down when you try to save, but it still won't accept the save. What can be done about this? I don't have a floppy drive, so I don't have a lot of options, really. Help!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #22
Hadley Hadlen

I'm getting the same problem. I love this game and it was the first Kings quest I ever played (Back on the old Tandy) And I would love to play it again, but it wont let me save either. And the chane I could get thru the game without dying once is astronomical. The only save I have is that John jerk and it wont let me overwrite it either, and iv'e tried a million solutions. Is there anything to be done about this?

Old 05-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #23
BUFFY
Game freak

Well im trying to eliminate things here...

Firstly if your running XP you should have ran INSTALL.EXE in DosBox, I selected the IBM options, then have run SIERRA.EXE in DosBox

If you running Win98 you might not have needed to run it in DosBox, but you still should have run INSTALL.EXE first.

MAKE SURE YOUR FOLDER IS NOT READ-ONLY! As it may be for some mysterious reason... right click the "Kings Quest 4 - The Perils of Rosella" folder, click properties, then check the Attribute tick boxes down the bottom. Untick Read Only if its checked, then click Apply then Ok.

Try saving the game as soon as you start playing - don't want to get half way then find out it still doesn't work! k:

Any results?
BUFFY is offline                         Send a private message to BUFFY
Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #24
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Another beautiful classic, I love all the older Kings Quest Games. I do hate that whale though, I have been deep fried in whale drool quite a few times trying to get out of there.
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 06-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #25
alison
Unhappy

No luck. I ran the Install file without DOSbox initially, so I tried running it with DOSbox this time. I used the same configuration (the IBM or PC compatible options), and then tried running the game without DOSbox and then with it. Neither worked. It just won't let me save. It keeps saying there's not enough space on the disk. Do I need to put the game on a floppy? That would suck, because I have one of those stupid computers without a drive. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #26
Anovich
Abandonia nerd

I think it's a fun game, played it when I was a kid, and liked the story very much, so actually when I ran out of stories to tell the kids where I work, I borrowed the story from kq4 and the kids loved it, hehe. I think they thought the witch sisters were pretty scary though and frankly- so did I when I played it as a kid!
Anovich is offline                         Send a private message to Anovich
Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #27
BUFFY
Game freak

Alison,

The only thing I can think for you to try is to extract the zip to another loacation (KQ4_2) run INSTALL.EXE again (remember when it says 'Do you want to install the game now' or something at the end just press ESC) then try SIERRA.EXE again.

The older games use all that "extended memory" stuff but I can't see a setting or anything so who knows. Hopefully it was just something that happened but the new one will work. Make sure your folder hasn't got Read-Only selected in its properties.

It seems this has happened to a few people so if anyone finds a solution please share k:
BUFFY is offline                         Send a private message to BUFFY
Old 08-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #28

Despite I absolutely LOVED the type-controlled Sierra adventure games, this wasn´t my favorite. I don´t know why but it was not entertaining to me and it bored me a little. So I finnished it targetly with the walkthrough. BUt I must say that it really is a very, very hard game to finnish it and maybe really the hardest of all the king´s quests. If I have to make the chart of all type-controlled Sierra games I´ve ever played, this one would figure out on last positions ...

Old 08-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #29

Damn, I´ve forgot to subscribe. Maftík :bye:

Old 12-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #30
thecity/alison
sorry, i didn't realize i'd posted under 2 different names, but i am the same person.

thank you for all of your suggestions, buffy (i just got buffy season 4 in the mail a few days ago which is why it took me a while to get away from the TV to try the suggestions), but none of them worked. i have no idea.

i tried re-downloading it several times, running the install different ways, i tried running it regularly, with dosbox, and with vdmsound, and nothing worked.

i'll fiddle with it every now and then and see if i can figure something out.
but thanks for your help, anyway, i really appreciate it.