Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Because there seems to be as many reasons for liking/disliking any given game as there are gamers, I wonder: What are you looking for in a game? By all means, take genre into consideration if you think that matters.

Strategy games: I just like to think and to see if I'm able to plan better than a program. Graphics or sound don't really matter.

Flight sims: Realism. Short and simple. Of course, here graphics and sounds play a certain role in making the game believable, but most importantly, I want a flight sim to "behave" as the real thing, and not to be just an arcade/action.

FPS: AI, interactivity, graphics and sound... pretty much in that order.

RPGs: A story I like, characters I like and can "relate to" as far as that is possible... Let's face it: I never lived in medieval times.

Adventures: Story/plot and comedy factor. Graphics-wise I prefer the cartoonish style, but I can enjoy a txt adventure just as well as any graphic adventure.

Other thing I look for, are bugs and glitches and then exploiting them to see how absurd the game can possibly be.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Just because someone prefer other aspects of a game than you do, that does not make that person a flippin' idiot, ok?
Old 26-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Usually I buy only those games, of which I heard or read. But nowadays I'm fond of RPG based on AD&D. So I look in a game for most accordance with it. I liked Icewind Dale 2 and now I got a copy of Baldur's Gate 2.

In 3D RPGs or shooters I'm looking for realism. The most known thing (Most known 3d shooters and games with first person view) - you don't see your legs and torso, when you look down. In some of recent games it is fixed. Arx Fatalis for example and F.E.A.R..

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 26-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

As for strategy games - you CAN plan better then AI. see how your army is always smaller compared to enemies? well that's it. imagine having all base already built and then just fight. i guess you would win. especially if you had all the resorces left. if everything fails - wait and defend. it would work.

adventures - i haven't played in a looooooooooong time.

FPS - mostly interaction, preferably some way to talk to the NPC.

RPG - with some original story (instead of defeat the evil) and options of character developing (like in Morrowind).

Flight sims - not anymore my favourite ones (maybe cause i dont' have the computer for the latest ones), however i would love to see Elite Final Frontier with new graphics - space sim with advanced physcs would really be nice. i mean in elite you could do a slingshot to get away from enemy...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 26-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

[OFF TOPIC]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Sep 26 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]257406[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Flight sims - not anymore my favourite ones (maybe cause i dont' have the computer for the latest ones), h.
[/b]
You could give F-22 Total Air War a go. Fairly realistic, nice graphics, rahter complex and a nifty campaign randomizer/generator. And it works like a dream on older machines. I think it was released for Win95.
[/OFF TOPIC]
Old 26-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm always looking for fun and enjoyable gameplay.

In most games also for a challenging gameplay that while somewhat demanding isn't overboard.

When I'm playing action games, it's all about the rush and adrenaline for me.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Delibator
Forum hobbit

Im always looking for the holy grail of games.

However i never found it.

At the botton of my priorities i put grafics but they must be 3d.
The game must combine FPS, simulation (of veicules), rpg elements (many, the more, the merryer), strategy (ordering other persons or things around) in a some kind of interface. After all something that resembles real life, that its the ultimate game.

The storyline must be of a normal guy, that turns to be a hero but not taken out of the blue, like Half-life, Prey or BreakDown. I must feel that im becoming, not that i am.

The game must educate the player to play even better, and then increase difficulty of game.(Level by level).
Showing that game contains more and more to the player assimilate the contents.

The last but least the game lenght (hours for playing). The game must be HUGE i would say infinite but THE MATRIX™ havent been invented yet.

There are even more things for me to say but i think this is the basic.

What do you think guys?

Delibator is offline                         Send a private message to Delibator
Old 26-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Looking for everything in every single game, but not too pushy.
It has to be immersive, like I should actually care whether I do something with the character or if I should dissobey my mission objective. Realism works, but the game can be unique in it's own way.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 26-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Morrin
Underground

Strategy: realism without penaltizing entertainment. I like games where you can win by carefully choosing battleground and using cunning strategy. Good example: rome total realism (vanilla rome sucks)

Shooters: I think this is the easiest genre for both developer and gamer. Good shooter however, requires originality, good atmosphere, good feeling (for weapons) etc.. Good example: Deus Ex

Driving: I personally valuate arcade driving with good physics. Also, the more damage you can do, the more fun! Good example: Carmageddon

Good RPG: Originality. I hate those typical "you must find the four pieces to build ultimate sword that will decide the faith of human kind. You are our only hope! Please help! ... by the way, health potion costs 1000 gold pieces". Good example: Fallout 1/2

Adventure: What it most needs: clever and funny dialogue, logical puzzles, minimum frustration and not too much repeating. Good example: A lot of them
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 26-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Good gameplay, and graphics that are suitable for the system are a must (not PS1 graphics on a PS2 system, that's just lazy).

Otherwise story and most other aspects are optional for me, although they're always a plus.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 26-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
anke

A good plot, playability... Good graphics help, but most of all I look for games that have non-linear storylines.
anke is offline                         Send a private message to anke