Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

I've also been a pen and paper roleplayer. It's not that we have abandoned it for good (many in the gang did however), but lack of interest grew up and even if one of us pulls something to direct, which is very rare by now, it won't last long, not even as intended usually.

We're four max, one lives 2,000 km away so it's a no 99 per cent of the time, and another may want to play but won't ever direct for the life of his. There's another, he's tired of everything we've played previously and when directing will frolic with a different game and setting every time. Incidentally he also kills all character at once eventually (with "eventually" I mean "real soon"). The other is me of course, I don't have much interest in fantasy and D&D-likes any longer either to be honest (but proper Tolkien is good if done right), my cup of tea is historical roleplaying.

Also I have problems with every existing gaming system. Actually I have devised a brand new homebrew system, it's not completely finished let alone tested, but I'll finish it one day and you'll be the first to know. In a couple of years I'll find a minute to devote to it.
Old 21-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
sgtboat
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
I've also been a pen and paper roleplayer. It's not that we have abandoned it for good (many in the gang did however), but lack of interest grew up and even if one of us pulls something to direct, which is very rare by now, it won't last long, not even as intended usually.

We're four max, one lives 2,000 km away so it's a no 99 per cent of the time, and another may want to play but won't ever direct for the life of his. There's another, he's tired of everything we've played previously and when directing will frolic with a different game and setting every time. Incidentally he also kills all character at once eventually (with "eventually" I mean "real soon"). The other is me of course, I don't have much interest in fantasy and D&D-likes any longer either to be honest (but proper Tolkien is good if done right), my cup of tea is historical roleplaying.

Also I have problems with every existing gaming system. Actually I have devised a brand new homebrew system, it's not completely finished let alone tested, but I'll finish it one day and you'll be the first to know. In a couple of years I'll find a minute to devote to it.
Ill beta test it. Wont be the first. I used to beta test games for Steve Jackson.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
"The price of freedom is the blood of Patriots"-Thomas Paine
Support You're Countries Veterans
:akimbo:
sgtboat is offline                         Send a private message to sgtboat
Old 21-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtboat View Post
Ill beta test it. Wont be the first. I used to beta test games for Steve Jackson.
Many thanks, will get to you when I have an early version. Now it's already devised and even mostly implemented, but there are a couple of implementation decissions pending, and the text of the rules is incomplete.

BTW it's intended for "realistic" roleplaying (so not everyone's cup of tea...) Like if you get into nonsensical fights thinking you're Drizzt, you'll get yourself killed. :P So educational. Otherwise it's intended to be universal, that is applicable to ancient, contemporary, sci-fi, etc. settings alike, even fantasy why not (however not "high" fantasy of course since it's "realistic", but still a magic system could be bundled into it, I'm just not designing any for now).

As I said I'll get back to you some day during the next decade... You just wait seated. Thanks again for you offer.

Last edited by Japo; 21-01-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 22-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
sgtboat
Resident Redneck

Cool Cool

Sounds good dude. Kinda reminds me of GURPS from Steve Jackson. You could set up adventures from the past to the future. I can help with the magic system. I would just need to know wheteher you would like spell points, max spells per day, or a generic "universal energy/Force" kind of thing. nThat would dictate the spell/power types.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
"The price of freedom is the blood of Patriots"-Thomas Paine
Support You're Countries Veterans
:akimbo:
sgtboat is offline                         Send a private message to sgtboat
Old 22-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

There could be a different magic system for each setting... I could develop something after the system itself, but at any rate determining one single magic system for the game would go against its spirit.

I can't work on specific settings until the core framework at least is finished and polished... But I do have some short notes I made about medieval Japan for the campaign that I may use first to test myself. Nothing magical--I won't butt in magic in the first tests, in order to isolate factors--but for example martial arts ("realistic") and weapons...
Old 22-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Yuo guys are lucky. I cannot WAIT until i go to college and can find DnD players (apparently they are popular there). I've made it a life goal to play DnD. WARLOOOCK!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 28-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #17
Thermyte
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtboat View Post
I dont play cyber RPG. If im gonna play a computer game thats what I want to play. And Cyber RPG doesnt hold a candle to playing til 3 AM and then getting booted from the guild, then to wafflehouse and playing til dawn with good friends. You wont get that online.
I try and explain that to my friends that live in WOW and other MMORG's. They just don't get why I just do not see the point in cyber RPG.
Thermyte is offline                         Send a private message to Thermyte
Old 28-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #18
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

WOW and MMORPG's are not roleplaying games, there games where everyone tries to geth e strongest guy, with the strongest equipment, and says things like "Omg yur a noob ur only lvl 40"

Roleplaying is when you, a Warlock, come across and unsuspecting elf and hold a conversation with him before maniulating him, and then killign him. Roleplaying is when you survive a barbarian raid, and the rest of yoyr family is long dead, and you share your story in the local inn. Roleplaying is when you survive a nuclear war in the confines of a homeade fallout shelter, and wake up the next day to find a wasteland outside.

THAT is roleplaying. WOW is NOT in the LEAST roleplaying, at ALL

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
Pox

Is there a conjunction of words for this?
Perhaps Quasi-lame?
Its rare to see such a wide variety of conversations and people talking all at once saying nothing, at least you managed to amuse me.
As to D & D, I used to play with two good freinds as a teenager, we'd all go get stoned and toss dice for hack and slash untill the wee hours.
Take turns running each other's various dungeons, maps, sl's, best friendly competition I've ever participated in.
To each his own.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #20
Pex
Game Wizzard

I used to be a pen and paper role player. I started with MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) system, then went to Role Master and finally AD&D. I liked RM the most. But that was ages ago. My old crew is all around the world now.

I also played a few on-line campaigns on a few different forums. Some were AD&D, some D&D 3.5 ed, some were just free style. Basicly, GM (or DM) presents a story and particular situation and then you post your reaction. Some GMs just decide what would happen, while some actually role dice (or say that they do ). It's fun, but not as much as pen and paper, especially since it tends to drag for ages. We never finished a single campaign. But there are forums that are actually dedicated to that kind of role playing and people there are more dedicated themselves, so campaigns run faster.
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex