Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh
Thumbs up

There was a huge conversation about the Theory of Relativity, the light and it's properties and stuff, led by Evad sometime earlyer. Sady, that topic sunk to the abyss without any future sign of another post.

So here's my load of science
I found some pretty interesting scientific news on the net.

Scientists mess with thse Speed of Light

This contains some very intersting, yet unbeliavable things. Make sure you check out the links on the bottom of the site.

The other one is my turf. Teleportation like in Star Trek Maybe one day, it'll become reality:

U. S. Air Force takes a look at teleportation

Let the mindstorm begin k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 21-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Sounds interesting that Live Science site k:

About the over-light-speed, that is a not so new news... and as the article say, it's just an illusion due to the superimposition of waves, there is nothing real travelling faster than the light...

In my opinion even the teleportation (the one like Star Trek!) is impossible!

I find the invisible-stuff very cool!
That's something that we will see in the next future... or i've to that we will NOT see... :whistle:
Old 21-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
swiss
who's not Swiss

over ligtspeed is possible but not in our universe/dimension. there seem to be particles that move fatser than light but these particles could never travel less than light speed. they need energy to get slower - so it's some sort of anti-reality ...

and this teleportation stuff is just possible when you think about it. Just imagine how much energy they need to teleport one single photon. and now calculate how much energy and computerpoer they would need to teleport things like a sand-grain or something else ... that would take ages to produce a computer and energy source that could teleport any little thing ...
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 21-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by swiss@Aug 21 2005, 11:31 AM
and this teleportation stuff is just possible when you think about it. Just imagine how much energy they need to teleport one single photon. and now calculate how much energy and computerpoer they would need to teleport things like a sand-grain or something else ... that would take ages to produce a computer and energy source that could teleport any little thing ...
They have never teleported a single photon!

Scientists are only able to teleport characteristics between "entangled" photons! And that's really a different thing from the Star Trek teleport!
Old 21-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
swiss
who's not Swiss

"As predicted, the original photon no longer existed once the replica was made."

That an entangled transport but sounds to me like a "real" teleport.

See here: http://travel.howstuffworks.com/teleportation2.htm
Old 21-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by swiss@Aug 21 2005, 11:50 AM
"As predicted, the original photon no longer existed once the replica was made."

That an entangled transport but sounds to me like a "real" teleport.
Probably we have a different way to see the reality... i just think that an "entangled copy" of me, is not me!

Anyway we are talking about the same thing! k:
Old 21-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You'd have a job to entangle enough particles to make a person - there seem to be some strong limits on it. Plus then there'd be 2 of you (if you can call the replica 'you'). If you want a good discussion (though a few years out of date now) read The Science of Star Trek - 's quite interesting.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 21-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Teleportation will be reality far in the future. If it is possible to tranfer data(like electrical currents 1001011010 and the like), it may be possible to disassemble a body to tiny little molecules and send the data to another location where it is assembled again.

I know this will require a computer that is equal to a 99 Gazzilon Hz computer now, but that may become reality. Of course we need a machine that can dis- and reasseble the molecules.

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 21-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
swiss
who's not Swiss

even if you can teleport the matter will the person be still you ?

I think we come to a more philosophical/theological problem here. Are you just the matter you consist of or is there this soul-thing in you that makes you ?

I think (and that's just for me) that you die when being teleported. Remember this huge book where the first human was made out of matter and finally got "the breath of life". I think you'd loose this ...
Old 21-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well it does carry your brain.
I mean it's carrying bits and pieces of you, it means you just travelled in a different fashion.

Just cause you were spliced into a thousand pieces and put back together don't mean it isn't you.

Unless you got lobotimized in the process.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy