Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
UWGuest

This is about installing Ultima Underworld from CD. I know this is only vaguely relevant to Abandonia, but a 'lil help for an old school gamer?

OK, I bought a CD (legitimate, including box and guides) containing Ultima Underworld and Wing Commander II. It tells me to go to DOS or DosPrompt and install like so
1. C:
2. Uinstall

Not so tough. Except I'm on Windows XP and this is the message I get
Command Prompt - uinstall
C:\Windows\System32\autoexec.NT. The system fil is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close" to terminate the application.

And that's where I'm stuck. I tried just dragging it out from the disk directory in My Computer straight to DosBox without any form of installation but I get the dreaded message about Expanded Memory (which I still have no idea how to deal with)
C:\>UW.EXE
EMS Allocated
Cannot Run Underworld
Resource problem or internal error. Error code AA06

So I ask with all of my heart, HELP! Can someone instruct me on how to beat this thing or send me the file that was once on Abandonia? I will willingly provide proof of ownership (a picture) if the rules are similar to video game emulators.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

A quick search of the forum will yield this thread dealing with the autoexec.nt problem, which isn't specific to this game. You should then be able to install it; if not, there's an option in DOSBox config to disable the EMS emulation, but I can't remember exactly where off the top of my head.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
UWGuest

Thanks for the link, and sorry for not finding it on my own. But I'm not exactly a knowledgable on computers on anything beyond very very basic stuff, so there's my excuse. Even if I had found the thread I wouldn't have known it would be applicable to my problem (Yes, I'm THAT stupid).

This is the explanation, but I have absolutely NO idea how to do that. I have a rudimentary understanding of what it says, but nto a clue as to how to decipher and implement the solution.
Quote:
Search for autoexec.nt it's on your computer but the problem is that it's not in the system32 folder where it should be because something has moved it! Once you find it copy it back to system32 and your games should work fine. Make sure you get autoexec.nt and NOT autoexec.nt_ . They are different files.

autoexec.nt is the winXP version of autoexec.bat. The game is looking for it in system32 where it should be but it can't find it so it returns that error message which doesn't really make sense.

Hope this helps!!!!

Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Simple; open the Start menu and click on the search option.

Type the autoexec.nt file and search your primary hard drive (usually C.

Once you found the file then copy it to the right directory. Don't move it, make sure you really copy it. This is important because the file might be erased again in the future and you won't have any backup left if you simply click and drag the file instead of really copying it.

If you can't find the autoexec.nt file at all there is a link at the thread BeefontheBone mentioned which should allow you to find a viable copy from the net.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
UWGuest

Ah, I see what you are saying now.

I will
-Search for "autoexec.nt"
-Once found I will put a copy of it in the system32 folder
-If not, apparently I will find one on the net.

It's late, I'll try it later, but thanks so much for the assistance.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
UWGuest

Ok I followed the steps and got this

Quote:
Installation not completed.* Reason #23:

IRQ conflict error.
You have an IRQ conflict between your Sound Blaster and another card on your system such as a BUS mouse card or FAX card.* To correct this, you must change the IRQ setting of the Sound Blaster or the other card that is causing the problems and re-install the game.* Consult the documentation of the appropriate card on how to change the IRQ setting.
Help :blink:

Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

At this point I would suggest you try to use DOSBox. :angel:
Old 11-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #8
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

either DOXBox or if it doesen't work (i remembere having the original with some strange instalation procedure that gave me trouble in WIN 98) you will have to create a special boot partition on your disk for DOS Games. that would be the easy way to play old games. you just assign oh i don't kow 1 GB of disk to FAT16 dos filing system and then most old games will work with no problem.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor