Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

Angry Civilization 1 - Interesting Problem with Loading on Converted DOS Machine

Hey y'all, I have been having an interesting problem with running my copy of Civ 474.01. All versions of the programs I will mention are legit copies I have on disk.

I currently have a stable version running on a USB stick with Dosbox and the DBGL front end.

I had a stable version on a Packard Bell built for Windows 98 that I made DOS-only.

The first problem I had was with a Dell latitude D610 that I installed a bootloader with Freedos 1.1 (maybe 1.0). When I run it with FreeDos's prefered memory manager, it puts the screen into 320x200 Text display and puts up a bunch of garbage and freezes. When I use FreeDos emm386 it loads into the game but crashes during the intro scene before the menu appears. I have a config.sys menu system that I can use to not load memory mangers except for himem. The game works fine like this.

The second problem is on a Compaq Presario built for Windows 95. I installed DOS 7.1 and it would crash in a similar manner to the Latitude. I put in a new hard drive so I could install bog-standard MS-DOS 6.22. I also reinstalled CIV from my original disks. With or without memory mangers including himem.sys the game crashes in exactly the same manner. I have swapped out video cards. I have reduced my RAM to 32MB. Nothing I have done will get CIV to work on my DOS-only desktop.

In both cases (laptop & desktop), I started with a copy of CIV from the working version on the Packard Bell.

This is one of the only problems I have had setting up my DOS-only computers. (with the exception of The Chaos Engine not registering keypresses.)

Any ideas out there? What the heck am I missing here?

EDIT before replies
Cross-posted on CivFanatics at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=567349
Also Installed the version on this site.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA