Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #331
levethian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 11 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]260636[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You need to load the sound drivers in Ms-Dos, before Windows 98 loads, or you won't have sound when ending Windows 98 and starting in Dos-Mode. As for Windows 98, there usually won't be sound for Dos games while you're playing them in Windows.
[/b]
Ah. I've never yet quit windows and entered Dos to run sound in a Dos-based game (World of Xeen, Arena, Wolfenstein, etc). The only games I've met so far in which the sound doesn't work in Windows is Master of Magic and Discworld, though I've just downloaded them so I hope the problem will be resolved.

I'm just concerned that Master of magic has no install file or setup/config file that allows me to tell the game which sound card I have... I suppose I should learn to use Dos
levethian is offline                         Send a private message to levethian
Old 12-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #332
Japo
Autonomous human

I never managed to run MoM in Win98 normally, but its "DOS mode" did the trick. If you sound card is as old as your computer seems, but newer that a SBAWE32, those came with SB16 emulation drivers which Win98 took care of loading in normal and DOS mode. For the parameters (Adress, IRQ and DMA) look in AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #333
Chizm

I tried with both DosBox and VDMSound and had no luck. This was one of my favorites in college and I'd love to play it again. I think I have my original disks?/CD? around here somewhere. Any help getting it to work would be much appreciated. I could dust off the old P3 laptop I have in the closet if I need to bring out the artillery...Or commandeer the old P1MMX-233 I gave to my mom to not use many years ago. I'm running a high-end system now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondSoul @ Aug 23 2004, 07:23 PM) [snapback]9835[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh Master of Magic is simply the best game in the world, i've been playing it for years!!

You guys might have some trouble running the game smoothly with sound, but it is possible using only VDMSound and some tweaking to the properties, if anyone needs help making it work i'd be glad to be of assistance, i just got it to work on my computer with sound without DosBox a little while ago.
[/b]

Old 13-10-2006, 06:37 AM   #334

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chizm @ Oct 13 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]260971[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I tried with both DosBox and VDMSound and had no luck. This was one of my favorites in college and I'd love to play it again. I think I have my original disks?/CD? around here somewhere. Any help getting it to work would be much appreciated. I could dust off the old P3 laptop I have in the closet if I need to bring out the artillery...Or commandeer the old P1MMX-233 I gave to my mom to not use many years ago. I'm running a high-end system now.[/b]
What do you mean, you had no luck with DosBox? On an high-end system DosBox should work flawlessly, as long as you increase the CPU cycles with CTRL-F12 for the game to run fast enough.

Old 13-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #335
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Exactly, even a 5-year old 1.6 GHz laptop with 256 MB ram could run it. In that case I would suggest skipping 1 or 2 frames though, that also helps quite a bit.

However note that especially during combat MoM can crash (particularly when summoning lightning or demons) so remember to SAVE OFTEN
Though all in all it only happens once in every that many hours.
Old 13-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #336
Japo
Autonomous human

An important thing, for DOSBox or pure DOS or whatever, you must enable EMS to play this game.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #337
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I could dust off the old P3 laptop I have in the closet if I need to bring out the artillery...Or commandeer the old P1MMX-233 I gave to my mom to not use many years ago. I'm running a high-end system now.[/b]
You could also buy a cheapie second-hand 486 or 586 system (if you wonder: 586 is the "true" name for Pentium 1 processors and their AMD equivalents).
These things aint really expensive, I got one last year.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #338
Japo
Autonomous human

I was said once by a teacher, God knows if it's true, that the new chips were named Pentium instead of 586 because in order to patent something it needs a name not made up entirely of numbers. So 286, 386, 486 chips had been copied with impunity, and so Intel came up with the name Pentium because it didn't want that to happen again. /OFF TOPIC OVER

I once installed DOS 6.22 in a P3 450 MHz and no game run too fast or anything, everything went smooth as silk. A few games didn't even work while they worked under DOSBox or even Win98 (DOS7), or just didn't work under any system *on my machine*, but that random stuff was already common in the old days of DOS (There was a much greater number of games that didn't work under Win98 but did under DOS6 though.) Besides you can then install DOS in one partition and Windows in another, thus making operation easier. (For example my hat is off to you if you can download a game from Abandonia using DOS, but with both installed in two partitions of the same computer, you can download it under Windows, then reboot and play it under DOS.)

But this game works under DOSBox, if you enable EMS.
Old 14-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #339
levethian

(From the manual)
"As part of the installation process, you are promted to select a few settings for your sound configuration..."

What installation process? Is there no way to let this game know what sound card I have? :wallbash:
levethian is offline                         Send a private message to levethian
Old 14-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #340
Japo
Autonomous human

Pirate copies of games (which includes abandonware) are usually already installed so you don't need to go through another installation process. In order to configure the sound card run INSTALL instead of MAGIC.