Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
I will never understand how could it be that no videogame house generate other's version like this one. Theme park world was below the quality and it's unplayable on winxp. Sim theme park was a truly failure. Then, nothing else.
Well, there was the RollerCoaster Tycoon-series, I particularly enjoyed the last game but the first game always reminded me a lot of Theme Park.
Old 19-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
One of the most important pc videogame in history

The only fault is that this game was unstable in some dos system expecially if it was played with lowest memory, suddenly generating macroscopical "dos4gw error".

I will never understand how could it be that no videogame house generate other's version like this one. Theme park world was below the quality and it's unplayable on winxp. Sim theme park was a truly failure. Then, nothing else.

I will never understand how it is possible that the publishers of video games lose time to create the thousandth fps shooter and have no desire to develop the heirs of a so important game. It's a shame.
FPS games can be made by the numbers. Provide enemies, provide weapons, tadaa, you're done. A strategy game is a lot harder to make since you need to work on a balance so that the game is neither too hard or too easy.

Theme Park, however, did more than that. It had charm like few other games managed to achieve and for a strategy game, this was unseen! Theme Hospital had a similar but ultimately different charm but it showed that Bullfrog knew how to add some real atmosphere into a game. Dungeon Keeper did the same, after all!

I think that most developers these days are just incompetent in these areas. Most people may not realise, but the developing houses of old were talent 'traps' where musicians, artists, writers, etc. came together with an idea for a game. These days, it's mostly programmers and even more programmers. Sound & music is often outsourced to an out-side company, the art team are not as involved with the actual game and the result is nearly always a game that just doesn't involve you as much as the games of old. It's been proven many times over, that a small team is the best way to go about things.

Mollyneux said that the reason he left Bullfrog, was because it had grown too big to be able to still make the games he loved to make and it's a symptom that affected many other developers at the time.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 19-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Nice review red_avatar, what an awesome and brilliant game!
Old 19-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the game has real hideous controls and camera movement, totally turned me off
Old 20-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Rabmonk006

omggg you dont know how long ive been trying to find this game - i had it for playstation one.. still have the manual but not the cd.. or the playstation! lol i cant wait to play it again!!! need something to do while waiting for tales of monkey island episode two :O
Rabmonk006 is offline                         Send a private message to Rabmonk006
Old 20-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #16
bimlanders65

Hi. I haven't played this one in ages until tonight. But I don't remember the clock going so fast. A day goes by in a micro second, even when game speed is set at the lowest from the top menu bar. What's up with this?

Old 20-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimlanders65 View Post
Hi. I haven't played this one in ages until tonight. But I don't remember the clock going so fast. A day goes by in a micro second, even when game speed is set at the lowest from the top menu bar. What's up with this?
What's up is you need to learn to read the review . I mentioned at the bottom how many cycles you should use.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Bimlanders65
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
What's up is you need to learn to read the review . I mentioned at the bottom how many cycles you should use.
You fail to consider that not all retro-computer games nerds are especially smart. I have never changed cycles on any dosbox game, and I'm not even sure I know how to. But I'll try that. Thanks again.

Old 21-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.

Increase: CTRL+F12
Decrease: CTRL+F11

Read this.
Section 5 (line 875-893)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 21-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #20
bimlanders65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Increase: CTRL+F12
Decrease: CTRL+F11

Read this.
Section 5 (line 875-893)
Thanks. All I did was type in cycle 10000 at the dos command line before loading the game and it worked fine. I figured I'd try the most bonehead obvious guess first.