Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-04-2006, 06:23 AM   #2321
Mr. Barman

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Apr 17 2006, 09:20 PM
There's a bug in the game (at least that's how I call it) so that any soldier who's mind-controlled during the last turn will be lost, regardless of whether you win or lose. And somtimes there's no way around it, because if you don't kill the mind-controlling alien it keeps controlling your man every turn, and if you do then you win the battle, it's over and you lose your man. :angry:
I get around that by finding the last alien and surrounding it with as many troops as possible, eventually you will cause it to panic or go beserk meaning it wont be able to MC the trooper and means you can end the battle quickly.

Either that or throw a grenade off to one side and wound it causing it to panic

Personally i dont like having any troops killed psi-strong or not because by the time you start fighting aliens with real psi skill like the etherals you've already had the troops for about 6 months which means it'll take any replacement another 6 months to get to the same skill level.

Plus i name my troops and losing one feels personal
Mr. Barman is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Barman
Old 18-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #2322
Den

Just recently downloaded the game again... Anyone got any ideas why this game won't work? I'm running XP pro SP2. Both ufo defence.exe and ufo.exe files don't work. I just get a black screen then it crashes back to windows.(UFO defence Gold has encountered a error and must close blah blah blah blah)

I have the original dos version but it crashes as soon as make my new base.(without Dosbox).

With dosbox the game would run ok but it is as slow as hell. try waiting 3-5 secs when you try to turn the globe :ranting: )

Can anyone help me?
thx.
Den is offline                         Send a private message to Den
Old 18-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #2323
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Den@Apr 18 2006, 08:31 AM
Just recently downloaded the game again... Anyone got any ideas why this game won't work? I'm running XP pro SP2. Both ufo defence.exe and ufo.exe files don't work. I just get a black screen then it crashes back to windows.(UFO defence Gold has encountered a error and must close blah blah blah blah)

I have the original dos version but it crashes as soon as make my new base.(without Dosbox).

With dosbox the game would run ok but it is as slow as hell. try waiting 3-5 secs when you try to turn the globe :ranting: )

Can anyone help me?
thx.
In my experience, the Dos version under Dosbox is quite stable, though not 100%.
Have you increased the number of cycles in Dosbox? However, at a certain point a further increase will drastically reduce the performance again.
Old 18-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #2324
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Apr 18 2006, 03:00 AM
Its a feature, not a bug
I would definitly call this a bug, you lose your trooper, sure might be bad at psi but I like to keep a psi-crap squad who specifically go and attack non-psi aliens (quite a fair few as only sectiods and etherials use psi).

Also you lose the armour he/she was wearing, not really too big but waste not want not.

Also this bug affects stunned troopers as well, you might want to stun your own troopers for many reasons, one guy looks into an alleyway and see's some cyber-disks, doesn't kill them with weapons and most likely to die during alien turn, one person shoots your own guy with a stun bomb effectivly stunning your guys and aliens will not fire at him. However say you kill those last aliens and your guy is still stunned you automatically lose your guy.

Definitly a bug, not a feature.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 18-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #2325
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Den@Apr 18 2006, 08:31 PM

I can't garantee this will work but it's worth a shot if you have not tried it already.

Right click on the ufo.exe and select properties.
Select the compatibilities tab.
Tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 98/Windows Me. (you could also try Windows 95).
Also tick "Run in 256 colours" and "Run in 640x480 screen resolution"

Do the same for UFO Defence.exe

I'm running the game with SP1 so I can't give you much more help.
Old 19-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #2326
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Also you lose the armour he/she was wearing, not really too big but waste not want not.

Also this bug affects stunned troopers as well, you might want to stun your own troopers for many reasons, one guy looks into an alleyway and see's some cyber-disks, doesn't kill them with weapons and most likely to die during alien turn, one person shoots your own guy with a stun bomb effectivly stunning your guys and aliens will not fire at him. However say you kill those last aliens and your guy is still stunned you automatically lose your guy.

Definitly a bug, not a feature.
When you lose the soldier by missing in action or killed always lose the armor... this is the expensiviness of the armors so my rookies team got some extra causalities.
Anyway, i am sure that when u kill last alien and a trooper is still MC, you lose the trooper but the stunned soldier should come alive at base with all their equipment.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #2327
Mr. Barman

Quote:
Originally posted by Den@Apr 18 2006, 08:31 AM

Can anyone help me?
thx.
try VDMSound, i run the UFO gold edition with that by the VDMS defaults and it works perfectly fine
Mr. Barman is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Barman
Old 19-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #2328
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Apr 18 2006, 05:00 AM
Its a feature, not a bug.
It's still a bug for me, or a very ill-conceived feature if it was on purpose. Because if one of your men gets MC'ed but is later released you don't lose him, but if he's MC's during the last turn you do. As a matter of fact after the last turn your men are supposed to have as long as they wish to recover weapons, alien corpses, materials, etc. There's no reason to leave that man behind if he was to recover his senses after one more turn (a minute, seconds?). Therefore, a bug.
Old 21-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #2329
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
It's still a bug for me, or a very ill-conceived feature if it was on purpose. Because if one of your men gets MC'ed but is later released you don't lose him, but if he's MC's during the last turn you do. As a matter of fact after the last turn your men are supposed to have as long as they wish to recover weapons, alien corpses, materials, etc. There's no reason to leave that man behind if he was to recover his senses after one more turn (a minute, seconds?). Therefore, a bug.
I not make many sense cuz u dont got sensors to get alien presence(this is an improment of the new but unsupportted X-Force a free new x-com 4). In this freeware u are told an estimated and unaccurated number of aliens per zone. It can be a bug but it looks more to me like the pregrammer let it be cuz he drinked too much or he was without sleep.
Old 21-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #2330
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Apr 19 2006, 11:42 PM
Therefore, a bug.
Or they avoided more serious bug by doing that. In fact as i saw the UFO: Alien Invasion it works the same way. don't know about MC, but once all aliens are dead the mission ends. Since this is the same in Terror from the deep i believe this is done on purpose. Because if you noticed you get all the stuff from the field back with you.

The soldier is missing in action. Annoying, i admit, but as i said it must have been done on purpose, probably to eliminate some other problems that might occur if this was done in another way.

Bugs are usually not done on purpose, but are erros in the programe.

Actually i think that in TFTD you could wait in the end before killing the alien so you soldier regains concesioness.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor