Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default What is better: Win 8 or 10?

Hi, all,

Hmmm..
i have Win 7 Pro, but You probably know that

Microsoft will stop 7 support at I.2020 .

Would be so kind to share Yr thoughts conc. 7 and 10.

Thank You very much in advance for Yr time and help.

yoga the RPG gamer..
Old 17-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I'm a proud (actually sad ) owner of Windows 10 on a new gamer's laptop. On previous one I had Windows 8.0. I gotta tell you, I don't much like Windows 10, because of it's inevitable updates - speak, forced. At least they are forced in Home edition, Pro should have some options to avoid them I think. But many new updates can break things, there's often many bugs introduced with them, which have to be fixed later with (you guessed it) another update!
There are a few options for Home edition to mitigate that, mostly setting internet connection to Metered, so you can avoid a few that way,

It's not a big deal, but I just don't like forced updates on my computer, without having any option to deny them. With Windows 10, Microdaft took a firm control of your operating system on some levels, and you've got no say in it.
Personally, if your hardware was supported just fine with Windows 7, I'd recommend you get Windows 8.1 instead, that way you should remain fine for some years yet, while having no forced updates.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

I used Windows 8.1 for a short time that I could not accurately report which one is “the best” Operating System. But compared to Windows 7, Windows 10 is far superior in aspects of OS stability (Blue Screen of Death), program operation, ease of use, Drivers, etc.

Regarding Updates, I’ve come across several times when Windows (Microsoft) Updade on Windows 7 sucks. The reason is that Microsof Update does not work intelligently and optimally. I will give some examples:

• It turned out that Update Check errors occur in Windows Update. I needed to use Acronis True Image to restore the OS image ;
• If you are installing Windows 7, Microsoft Update will offer several patches versions of Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, etc. Regrettably, it already happens to me that Microsoft Update installed Internet Explorer 11 before and subsequently tried to install Internet Explorer 9! In other words, Microsoft Update does not distinguish which patch to install first!
• Installing patches so that the Installation was unsuccessful.

It would just be my personal opinion that differs from Mr. Scotty’s.
Old 18-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Capo
Unconventional member

Yoga!
Win 10 is much better

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 18-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Viva Italy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Yoga!
Win 10 is much better

Mille grazie caro Capo!

Once more time THANK YOU for recommendation to play

Pillars of eternity 1&2. Real masterpieces..

Cosa sarebbe AB senza il Maestro Capo?
(What would AB be without Master Capo?)
Nothing and nothing

Old 18-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default conservative yog

Thank You very much, mates, for Yr competent advises.

You are very generous..

In fact i am little conservative person.

But i have 30 days to fatal date.
Old 18-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
In fact i am little conservative person.

But i have 30 days to fatal date.
Don't you just wish back Windows XP
Anyway, yes, I gotta also agree with Capo that Windows 10 has it's good points over Windows 7, maybe the 8/8.1 one as well. It's newer, for one, and many drivers are defaulting to Windows 10 at least nowadays. It's stable as well, unless it introduces some nasty bug with some recent update (as it did a few times).

Now for the contras - like mentioned before, at least the feature updates are forced, smaller ones can be disabled via Windows troubleshooter tool, downloaded here (scroll further down to Choose your automatic updates) - if you don't want a particular driver forced upon you, or just an update which just came out and online news clearly say it's buggy.
Another contra is that quite a few services, at least in build 1803 and newer, will be grayed out for you in services.msc - you can not start them, you can not stop them, or set them to automatic or anything. Just greyed out, even if your account is Administrator. That includes the Windows Time Service, which for that very reason simply does not synchronize the clock on your computer with any server - as the Time service it on Manual, can't be changed to anything, and doesn't start with anything. At least you can manually adjust the time if you get to it through the classic Control Panel.

Just so you know what to expect with Windows 10. It's not bad per say, but there are a few unpleasant things with it, where you get no choice.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Win8 is far inferior to Win10. And they have forced updates as well, so is not better even in that aspect. Pro version of Win10 allows you to install updates in your pace, so if you can acquire that - I recommend it.
Old 23-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Another contra is that quite a few services, at least in build 1803 and newer, will be grayed out for you in services.msc - you can not start them, you can not stop them, or set them to automatic or anything. Just greyed out, even if your account is Administrator. That includes the Windows Time Service, which for that very reason simply does not synchronize the clock on your computer with any server - as the Time service it on Manual, can't be changed to anything, and doesn't start with anything. At least you can manually adjust the time if you get to it through the classic Control Panel.
I checked my Win10 Pro - not confirmed. Granted, I have 1903, but I didn't found "blocked" services with the first glance. Time service at least can be manipulated as usual.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #10
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

I do not know if it is pertinent information...

One good and bad thing about Windows 10 would be when restoring an Operating System Image using Acronis True Image, as it would be a more complex process than on Windows 7.

I have no experience using Acronis True Image with Windows 10. I only know what I was told by someone experienced on the topic.

However, I have experience using Acronis True Image with Windows 7 and apparently, the Operating System Image Restore process is much simpler.

Some people say it would be important that when formatting the Hard Disk to Install Windows 7, there are 02 Partitions, one of which would be Hidden Partition.

I assume this Important Hidden Partition would be needed to store essential files and data primarily for Windows 7 Ultimate or Business (and Professional), that allow you to Restore an Operating System Image.

It would be something similar with Apple, which backup by storing the Tablet / Smartphone iOS Operating System Image in the cloud (iCloud).

On Windows 7, you can “cheat” using Acronis Disk Director to eliminate this Windows 7 Hidden Partition before installing Windows 7. I have never had problems doing this since I have always used Third Party Program like Acronis True Image. *shrug*

And on branded PCs like Dell, Compaq have a Hidden Partition that also allows the User to do Original Factory Restore, Image Restore on a Date, etc.

However, it seems that this “cheat” using Acronis Disk Director to eliminate this Windows 10 Hidden Partition is not possible anymore. Because Windows 10 does not allow this “cheat”. Thus, any and all Hidden Partitions must be kept on Windows 10. *shrug*

Another thing, for some reason, looks like Windows 10 has 02 Hidden Partitions. Thus, at the time of Operating System Image Restore, you would need to restore the 03 Partitions (being 02 Hidden Partitions) correctly.

I would need to analyze, or rather identify, the 03 Partitions, and then Restore the Operating System Image. Thus, on Windows 10, the process is a bit more hard or complex than on Windows 7. *shrug*