Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #471
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default The House of the Dead

When i found this, though ye, why not.

I was prepared the graphic glitching, and all kinds of nonsense - what I was NOT prepared for was the not infinite continue.
I mean, this is an arcade game. It was designed to screw you over for more coins.
Obviously I lost. And with that, lost interrest.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #472
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Kult: Heretic Kindoms, aka. Heretic Kindoms: The Inquisition, aka. ...

aka. Heretic Kult Kingdoms, according to the title screen.

It IS a Diablo-like game, with unusual control: rightclick to attack, and the enemies like to move, but unlike for Diablo you can't fix on the enemy... Also, you seemingly can't change the position of quick items, and it seems the quick item slots are simply the backpack slots...
And I'm not sure where if at all you can sell (and buy) equipment...
And the ability-systemis weird. With level up you gain probably 100 points, what is stupid, because 1 point in any skill costs you 100 point. Sowhy not gain 1 point? Even counting that you can pick up "essence" of defeated enemies (which might or might not disappear by time),which give you 10 point, and hex-point give you 50. Or something like that. The hex-points are realy just redisigned bonus-pickups.
Seems you gain, more precisly unlock new abilities by maybe wearing equipment with that attribute? Or maybe it is enough to find such item,and have it in the backpack.

At the start you pick 2 such skill/alignment/whateverthenameis, but seems you actualy have all six, but these two supposed to be active? But I didn't see any active when started.
The choosing of elemental affiliation also plays no role, probably that's why you gain no intel wth is happening there, you just get some minor weapon with that attribute.

So, the important thing is, to collect these skill-like things like pokemons by simply wearing items for a given time. Yay.

It looks ok, even decent, the control is ok, and generaly no complaint. Will refresh by advancing.

EDIT1: Well, in the 2nd area I got pegged with a barbate wooden dildo, and nobody likes that. Some enemy came and perma-paralysed me. I think I'll have to use ranged shit, but I didn't wanna!

Seems using a spare ranged weapon (bow or focus) currently is enough, but it's still forshadowing bad stuff coming.

Another problem is, you want like a B in you weapon of choice (ranged for bow, melee for traditional stuff, magic for focus). You start with a bow and melee weapons, but you won't find a focus until this second area (fourth, technicaly). Well, maybe in the previous, where you free the villagers (one of the giant bugs threw a mandibule).
Another problem is, you realy don't want slow weapons. Because they are incredibly slow. Unfortunately some skills cano nly be unlocked by those. And the armor! You find your first light armor, which is only half as good as being without it (because of a skill, which you WILL use for the moment).
And as everything makes you slower (armor, shield, weapon), you realy want Speed as your secondary stat.

Oh, there's no shop, so bugger.
You can also only rest in the village, I assume. I heared you must click on the fireplace, but that'll only work at best until you free the villagers. Then you can buy rest for 10 gold per occasion, what is totaly hindering. Rumour is, when you manage to find 1,000 gold (shekel to be honest, because this world is jewish, and try to prevent the return of G-d, because they are the Synagouge of S... - better not finish this thought), you can buy your very own house.

Ah, Attunments (misspelled Atonement?) work this way, by the look of it:
- if you find an item which has "0-0%" in its description, it has a yet-unlearnt attunment (skill) on it. You must wear it to learn this skill. But not just wear, there might be another condition to rise the percentage on it. When the percentage reaches 100% the inscription will change to the learnt ability.
The other condition might be using a certain element (this means your weapon musthave that element), or being in the Dreamworld.At the start the dagger(s) will have this later condition.
- the Dreamworld ability is actualy in demand, and you want it. The reason why is, you don't just spend a certain time in the Dreamworld, then ejected form it, then aftera while able to return and so on. The way it works is, there's some hidden charge-bar, which tells how much time you can spend there at maximum. The problem is obvious: returning to Dreamworld will make you spend there only seconds unless you spend some time in the real world, but you can't know how well youare recharged for the task. So having this ability is not just Easy Mode, but actualy mandatory, or you'll suffer from frustration.
Thus my suggestion is, start with Dreamworld and Serendipity (aka. find better items).

The game does not allow Alt+Tab, what is a minor inconvenience, but being what it is, it's not a serious problem.

NOTE on Bear Meat quest: the innkeeper will buy EVERY dose of meat from you, 50$/dose. So it's good to pick up any pork meat you find. This generates a good amount of income, for me was like 200 bucks from the Forest Guardian area. You CAN murder the pig right in the village too, and according to the official walkthrough that only changes the tone of the villagers and nothing else, so it's doable, but at least not do this the first time (you have to click twice trying to "speak" - mor elike interact then with it, then it turns hostile and can be attacked).

EDIT2:
- there's a shop (first?) in the Whatever Valley. If you manage to fill his store, just get out of the conversation (hit I, the inventory button), and some stuff will vanish. Mage staves have good price (multiple hundreds).
Actualy, there's an earlier shop I just found,right nextto "your" hour. It has the localsmith. I bought a boots there which I didn't find elsewhere, and it was cheap.
- you'll possible need 300K+ gold just to unlock certain abilities (one tree). So you'll need that shop.
- heavy armor just might work, but seriously use only normal weapons. Fastweapons are substantialy weaker.
- here are the atunements I'd avoid: those active with ranged weapons (there are only a few bows in the game), those which cast spells (these typicaly cast some spell periodicaly, and I prefer constant bonuses, though technicaly a ranged character of hit&run seems possible), those which active with two handed weapon, those active with no shield.
- the official walkthrough (what GOG gives as extra) has at least one mistake, namely the Rope Ladder is NOT in a chest, but you can buy from the vendor-smith in the village.
- never forget to backtrack eacharea in the Dreamworld.
- from a skill-tree only 1 can be active at a time. This means obviously, choose the highest numbered one.
- bags work by rightclicking on them in the backpack. They provide more space.
- after a while, like around you go out of the War Camp, unlocking all the items properties even on normal becomes a fuss. And believe me, starting the game on normalwas no small thing either. As unfortunately the areas are not big, and the enemies somewhatlack in number, the replay-value is not high. There's definitely the chance you want to play on hardest, but for that you'll want to know a lot about the items and item-progression, so you can focus on just the right atunments to unlock and use. For the moment lightning (air) sounds a safe element: good damage, fast/normal weapons. For armour, your guess is as good as mine, but deifnitely not without it. I think a fast weapon (fortunately thi midgame there's a fast air mace) with heavy armor might do the trick. Of course there's the option to change items' element... But that sounds a wee bit comlicated for now, especialy if it is not a weapon (obviously you'd want to change a non-weapon's element to change the requirement of unlocking).
Another thing about Air is, the Thunderblade ability. Yu can unlock this very early, and gives 50% extra damage. That's a lot.

Last edited by twillight; 05-01-2020 at 09:49 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #473
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
This is a fun game. With appropriate tutorial, and intuitive gameplay.
Just if you missed it - it's the second part of Cthulhu Saves the World.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #474
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Just if you missed it - it's the second part of Cthulhu Saves the World.

I think it is a prequel. 2nd game released, 1st on timeline. They makea reference to CStW at the begginning.
Old 25-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #475
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Heretic Kindoms: The Inquisition

I got lost in the lore by the constant namedropping, and references, so restarted startingon top difficulty. Not that it makes too much difference, at least after you get out of the first area.

Btw, anyone knows why shields have no weight, but still slows you down, thus rises the question why weight is even shown on anything?
Old 25-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #476
burbigo1
Lurker

I don't know why is slows down a lot
burbigo1 is offline                         Send a private message to burbigo1
Old 28-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #477
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbigo1 View Post

I experienced no slowdowns, and I'm playing through chapter 1-3 the third time (melee build turned out insufficient on nightmare diff).

Try to disable settings maybe? Smaller resolution? I also don't use the windowed mode.

What system do you use? I have a win7 32 bit machine with integral videocard (aka. none). Pretty ancient by current standards...
Also using the GoG version. When loading the game it seems to feed on a bunch of memory, but as soon as I get the title screen, I'm fine.
Old 29-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #478
bafanamusic
[BANNED]

Default bafanamusic

The website covers latest trending South African Music and also Music from other parts of Africa such as Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya and more.
<a href="https://bafanamusic.com"> bafanamusic </a>
bafanamusic is offline                         Send a private message to bafanamusic
Old 30-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #479
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbigo1 View Post
Actualy, found 1 slowdown. When you switch element (aka. weapon), the game ... lags? freezes? Seems no part of the game moves, so it's mostly ok, and the thing is not constant if you do it a couple of times.

Hope this helps.

------------

EDIT: actualy, the pacing does slow down a ton. Compensating the lack of pure gaming length, you get loredumps,especialy when you arrive to the capital. The lore you get also contains a lot of repetition, so you have to filter out the new data and insert it to your previous knowledge.
This actualy creates a curious wayof mapping-need, where you map instead ofa physical maze a maze of information. And thatcanbe overwhelming too.

It doesn't help either that by Act 4 (practicaly quests hubbed in the capital) the tasks have requirements to pick them up and such, so it's no longer the simple "talk with everybody to not miss anything", instead goes the usual "talkeveryone in the supposed order".
It doesn't help either, that the official walkthrough contains misleadingand self-contradicting informations on accessibility of quests/tasks.

Last edited by twillight; 08-02-2020 at 05:14 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 15-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #480
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Revenant

I thought, even if it's mostly bad, it has such a cheap price, I'll get it.

Seems it was a hugh mistake.

One thing is,the controls are clunky, like in Little Big Adventure. And the screen has small resolution (you barely can see anything, the characters etc. are too big).

My real problem is, I can't even finish the tutorial. Seriously. I went to Master Roshi Or Who, the Special Move Teacher. Helocked the door behind me, and I'm stuck now. Permanently. He's probablydoing all kinds of weird anime stuff to my character I bet.

Anyone knows how to progress? I tried opening the door, tried talking to him, and whacked with the firsts pecial move the dummy more times I care to count.
What do I miss?