Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
emiro

Default Planet - A New Frontier

Okay, I'm really bringing this up from the ashes. This game, by Kimbro Software, is a space/city-builder. Other names it seems to have gone by are Planetfall (probably got in trouble with the more popular "Planetfall"), and Ares. Released in the late 90's, it's creator has vanished from the web. I was, however, able to find their website with the wayback machine. A demo version (can only play a 10th or so of the game) is available there.

Some unique featuers:

Technologies: researched at laboratories (that you must first build). Lots of freedom in what order to research things, but there are obvious pro's and even con's to some tech.

Resources: Food, water, metal, oxygen, labor force... must all be *meticulously* kept in balance.

Disasters: Meteors, earthquakes, deterioration, spontaneous miscarriages, "cabin fever", experiments gone wrong, and xeno viruses all wreak havoc on your meticulous balance (keep a history of saves!)

Happiness: keeping citizens happy means keeping up with demands for resources, housing, entertainment, health facilities, civil services, work-hours per day.

Story: Unlike other Civ-type games, there is one overarching story that pops up every now and then. And if you don't skip over it, there is a considerable opportunity to connect with the life of your little colony as it struggles for survival. If I recall properly, I honestly got emotional the first time I played this game--happy and sad, at moments.
emiro is offline                         Send a private message to emiro
Old 22-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
patryckslasher
Also Known As patryckpo

Send a message via MSN to patryckslasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiro View Post
Okay, I'm really bringing this up from the ashes. This game, by Kimbro Software, is a space/city-builder. Other names it seems to have gone by are Planetfall (probably got in trouble with the more popular "Planetfall"), and Ares. Released in the late 90's, it's creator has vanished from the web. I was, however, able to find their website with the wayback machine. A demo version (can only play a 10th or so of the game) is available there.
Hmm... Interesting... I'll try to help, if this can be approved I can search for the full thing.
I guess this is off-topic, but you still have the save point just before the end of it?
EDIT: I'll remove this line and put the name of the website only in some hours, it's the only way for me to look for it when I get home, if someone wants to check it out...
http://web.archive.org/web/200206040...com/ksfdwn.htm

Last edited by patryckslasher; 22-10-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: A little edit, I'll edit it again in a few hours...
patryckslasher is offline                         Send a private message to patryckslasher
Old 22-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
emiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryckslasher View Post
I guess this is off-topic, but you still have the save point just before the end of it?
End of full game or demo? How would you like me to get it to you?
Old 22-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
patryckslasher
Also Known As patryckpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiro View Post
End of full game or demo? How would you like me to get it to you?
Well, do you have the full game? If you do, nevermind, you can post it when it gets approved, I can wait. If you don't, send me via e-mail, you can find it in my profile page.
Old 24-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Cluseck
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, it's virtually impossible to find any info on the game. Hell, I'm not sure if it a full version was actually released. However, I think we can label it as 'approved'. Can anyone confirm this?
Cluseck is offline                         Send a private message to Cluseck
Old 25-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
patryckslasher
Also Known As patryckpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluseck View Post
Well, it's virtually impossible to find any info on the game. Hell, I'm not sure if it a full version was actually released. However, I think we can label it as 'approved'. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, some games are very hard to find actually. Jumpstar, by Dexterity Software can be a good example.
About the topic's game, I coudn't find ANYTHING anywhere outside of the website (kimbrosoft.com). If someone has a full version anywhere, it can be called lucky, at least.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
emiro

So, is this just waiting on someone to find the full version? Technically, what you can download *is* the full version... it's just got some sort of lock on it. I know, because I was able to play through to the end of the game, by loading a save that starts after the locked time (5.98 years, i believe). Surely someone out there can hack passed a simple lock on such an old, cheaply-made game??

Last night I tried accessing my old AOL email account to see if I still had the "key" that the owner emailed to me.... amazing part was I was able to guess my password on the first try! (Hadn't logged into that account in over a decade!) Less than surprising, however, was that all emails on the account had long since been deleted by AOL.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I bet, it's not very hard. Game asks for license key, then verify it. Nothing compressed, everything is plain, so experienced hacker must have no any difficulties to crack it.

Unfortunately, I am not that hacker.
Old 26-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
bobbyhall2

Any progress? I'm really eager to play the full version. Finally found it today after years of searching.
bobbyhall2 is offline                         Send a private message to bobbyhall2
Old 26-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Correct question is, if anyone tried. Again: not me.

What do you mean by "full version"? Something different from shareware, linked before?