Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is Diablo a role-playing game or not?
Yes, it is. 20 55.56%
No, it's not. 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Default Is Diablo a role-playing game or not?

Not that I'm a Diablo fan (haven't played much of it), but I want something similair to play. An RPG with loads of action.... Preferably something that's available on this site.
Is there anything similair at all?
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Um, Diablo isn't quite an RPG. RPG is acronym for *ta-dam* Role-Playing Game. Not much of that in Diablo.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 23-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Um, Diablo isn't quite an RPG. RPG is acronym for *ta-dam* Role-Playing Game. Not much of that in Diablo.
There wasn't really anything wrong with what I said, really. I said I wanted an RPG that's similair to Diablo. A game that is an RPG, and is similair. Never actually said Diablo was an RPG (although it IS officially known as an action role-playing game, and why argue with that?).

I do see people going ''Diablo isn't an RPG'' all the freakin' time, anyway. But then again, many of the same people call the Legend of Zelda series RPGs.

But to be honest, if we're talking actual role-playing; as long as you play the role of anything (for an example, a warrior), you're role-playing. It can be that shallow, but of course it can be way deeper as well. So technically, in every sense, Diablo is an RPG.

Let's get back on topic, though. Discussing how ''legit'' Diablo is as an RPG isn't very much so.

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 23-04-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 13-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
onenpiepah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Not to get in a huge debate here, but I'm really getting tired of people being scolded for calling games like Diablo an "Action RPG."

This is Abandonia. We more than perhaps anyone else should be aware of the history of computer roleplay games. And the cold hard truth is that for years, the original CRPGs little of the "roleplaying" modern gamers have come to look back and define the genre with.

Wizardry. Ultima. These weren't choose-your-own-adventure books, where the player freely and often changed the outcome of the story through their actions. Early CRPGs took the setting and game mechanics of pen and paper RPGs, and not much else. Hitpoints and torches mattered more than dialog trees or choices and consequences. They were Role Play Games, emphasis on the game part.

It's sad that most of the original computer role-play games have been retroactively labeled "dungeon hacks" by modern gamers spoiled on the likes of Fallout.

If we don't count Diablo as an Action/RPG because it lacks choices and consequences, then we can't count any of the series that lead to modern RPGs in the first place. We have to live in a bubble, where there "were no" RPGs until the mid-90s, when Troika and Obsidian suddenly "invented" the genre.

It's just silly. :tongue:
onenpiepah is offline                         Send a private message to onenpiepah
Old 18-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
diablo totally doesn't equal roguelike
hack and slash with RPG and rogue elements thrown into the mix then ?
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 18-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
It's just silly.
In Diablo II, there is no role playing elements whatsoever. You pick a character and are forced in the story without a care in the world about choices. In a way, you simply follow the story like an adventure game. Yes, you level your character... But having a leveling system doesn't automatically make the game a RPG.

This game have a solid story and there is more adventure elements in this game than role play elements. Yet, nobody calls Diablo II an adventure game. Why? Because it wasn't written on the box, because adventure games don't sell as well. RPG was written on the box however and, even if it is false, people caught on to it because of its popularity.

That is silly.
Old 18-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

there is roleplaying elements, no matter how "cool" you try to act

and no adventure at all. stop using dictionary made up in your head
Old 18-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
there is roleplaying elements, no matter how "cool" you try to act

and no adventure at all. stop using dictionary made up in your head
Agreed, Diablo is an RPG. Maybe not as deep as some others, but it still is an RPG.

Simoneer and onenpiepah have written brilliantly my exact thoughts, so I won't repeat what they said.

And also I agree that Diablo doesn't resemble roguelikes much.
Old 19-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Don't know if it is "cool" or whatever, but there's a point in what EoF is saying here. If you take the pen-and-paper approach, the Diablo series is not really a RPG. It is correct, that you are forced into a preset story - a good one, admittedly. On the other hand, the game has some typical RPG elements. You level your character, improve his stats and decide what path of the ability tree you want to go. These are all adapted from the CRPG world. And yes, there are action elements in the game. Compared to older titles, you don't get the typical step-by-step movement, but some kind of real time running and bashing monsters. So maybe it's an Action-RPG with an Adventure-like story?

Let's just call it a crossover - in case of Diablo, it probably was the first big hit in a new direction . Anyway, it's a great game with many other titles following it's footprints. And that's what great games are about, isn't it?

It seems that you've got your debate, onenpiepah..

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 19-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #10
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

An Action-RPG is still an RPG, and mostly even more-so than an action game.

People were/are saying Diablo isn't an RPG at all, which is completely incorrect. In case you missed it, EoF said: ''In Diablo II, there is no role playing elements whatsoever.''