Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Novac

Thumbs up

:help:

I'm trying to play Constructor and Colonization and I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting them to work.

My computer is a 2,6ghz, 1g ram and OS is Win XP Media Center.

Colonization worked not too long ago (as did a couple of other Dos games like UFO) but I stopped playing it again because it was the "Remade for windows" version of Colonization and it didn't feel like the old days. LOL

Anywho, the problem is the following. When running the installation of Colonization I can click the "Install" button, but as soon as I get to the next menu where I'm able to type a directory the whole dos program freezes. I can Alt + Tab to windows but the installation is completely frozen. Tried downloading "Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2" from the site and tried that but it's the same thing. I can hit escape and exit just fine but when I hover the mouse over any of the characters to select one the game freezes the same way as the Colonization installation.

Just this weekend while visiting my parents I got Constructor working by using Dosbox and D-Fend but it just won't work on my own computer. If I try launching any program with Dosbox a screen pops up starts loading and then just shuts down again without warning.

D-Fend made a text file called "stdout.txt" with the following text in the Phobos 2 folder.
"CONFIG:Loading settings from config file C:\Program Files\D-Fend\Confs\Phobos 2.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32"

I know nothing about this stuff but just in case MIDI refers to sound I should mention that my soundcard is an "Audigy 2" LOL

I hope someone might be able to help me with this. I'm hoping I won't have to try reinstalling Windows to get it working even though I might go as far if I knew it would work.
Novac is offline                         Send a private message to Novac
Old 14-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Data
retired

did you mount a c:\ drive as well ?
Old 14-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Novac

I got Constructor working with Dosbox/D-Fend and Colonization worked once but could not start up again after that.

I made a mount drive, but will try to mess around with that a bit.

If anyone else has any helpful information please don't be strangers
Novac is offline                         Send a private message to Novac
Old 14-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Use DOSBox Tutorial provided on Abandonia to setup your DOSBox. Then use D-Fend to make it work easier.

I will create more tutorials for advanced DOSBox and D-Fend. Currently I have two weeks to finish one class, and then after that I will have enough time to write some tutorials and take screen shots.

Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 14-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Unless you really have the original disks, you don't need to "install" the game found on Abandonia. Simply dezip the archive and play. Don't bother much about sound, DOSBox already emulate a lot of soundcards (especially soundblaster) even if you don't actually have that hardware in your tower.