Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
DarkStar88
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumiuN View Post
I'm glad to see you agree with me. Although I'll admit that I spent far longer than 8 hours playing the game... Did your budget version have a box?
Nope. It was just the CD case stuffed in among many others on a cheap CD rack. Thankfully the included documentation was pretty thorough.
DarkStar88 is offline                         Send a private message to DarkStar88
Old 19-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar88 View Post
Nope. It was just the CD case stuffed in among many others on a cheap CD rack. Thankfully the included documentation was pretty thorough.
Got a scanner? We could do with a manual and some boxshots (as long as it doesn't look like a budget case ).

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Ivan the Terrier
Default Can I ask for a hint?

Hi, folks

What a good game! Thanks very much for posting it. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a walkthrough for it online anywhere, so I'm turning to you to get me un-stuck!

I'm on level 4 -- I've figured out how to deactivate the huge transmitter, but I can't teleport out of the area before it explodes. How do you get into the teleporter room?

Many thanks in advance for the help!
--Bill

Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
AlumiuN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrier View Post
Hi, folks

What a good game! Thanks very much for posting it. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a walkthrough for it online anywhere, so I'm turning to you to get me un-stuck!

I'm on level 4 -- I've figured out how to deactivate the huge transmitter, but I can't teleport out of the area before it explodes. How do you get into the teleporter room?

Many thanks in advance for the help!
--Bill
Using some combination of the four switches near the doors. If I remember rightly, using the in the right order means that they don't turn each other off. I suggest you play around with them before you go cutting things up here and there to see what they do, although I think one of the door is locked until you do so. I'll take a look for you and see if I can figure out the combination.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
DarkStar88
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Got a scanner? We could do with a manual and some boxshots (as long as it doesn't look like a budget case ).
Sorry, wasn't clear on that. The documentation is on the CD itself in an executable.

I may include a list of enemies with screenshots of the list that appears at the main menu if you wait long enough if I ever get that walkthrough started. |-p

As to the questions---

Which Alien Artifact are you referring to? There's a green orb-like one in the alien pyramid that instantly heals you when used in the inventory menu. (good for several uses)

The teleporter room is a controlled-access deal that wasn't really supposed to be run by a single person. It's one of WOE's nastier logic puzzles, like an invisible lava bridge that'll show up later on.

Quite simply it's the old "this thingy turns off that one and that one, and this thingy etc, etc." Try completing the thing before you start the place blowing up. Note carefully which switches affect which other switches.
DarkStar88 is offline                         Send a private message to DarkStar88
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #16
AlumiuN

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't clear on that. The documentation is on the CD itself in an executable. I may include a list of enemies with screenshots of the list that appears at the main menu if you wait long enough if I ever get that walkthrough started. |-p
I've got that one myself. I don't know why I haven't added that as an extra yet. :S Can you still take some box shots if possible?

Quote:
As to the questions---

Which Alien Artifact are you referring to? There's a green orb-like one in the alien pyramid that instantly heals you when used in the inventory menu. (good for several uses)
The red one in the level before the transmitter that when you pick it up, sh*t goes on fire and you start getting pelted by an evil totem pole. I must have missed the green one the first time around.

Quote:
The teleporter room is a controlled-access deal that wasn't really supposed to be run by a single person. It's one of WOE's nastier logic puzzles, like an invisible lava bridge that'll show up later on.

Quite simply it's the old "this thingy turns off that one and that one, and this thingy etc, etc." Try completing the thing before you start the place blowing up. Note carefully which switches affect which other switches.
It would be easy if it weren't for those damn doors that let you in to the other four switches. Let's just say that out of the six switches, they have to be pushed so that you can go from one side the other without having to go back out the way you came in.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #17
DarkStar88
Forum hobbit

Oh - THAT Artifact!

To be honest I never discovered either how to get through the ring of fire or what the darn gizmo is even for. There's actually a fire extinguisher in that level or the previous one you can pick up and carry about but I couldn't seem to use it...

The 'evil totem pole' can be destroyed with a mine, although I'm not quite sure if that's the 'right' way to go about it.

Last edited by DarkStar88; 11-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
AlumiuN

Quote:
Oh - THAT Artifact!

To be honest I never discovered either how to get through the ring of fire or what the darn gizmo is even for. There's actually a fire extinguisher in that level or the previous one you can pick up and carry about but I couldn't seem to use it...

The 'evil totem pole' can be destroyed with a mine, although I'm not quite sure if that's the 'right' way to go about it.
The fire extinguisher does nothing. Believe me, I've tried. But I didn't know you could blow up the pole with a mine... Maybe we should try and find the guy who designed the level.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #19
DarkStar88
Forum hobbit

Quote:
The fire extinguisher does nothing. Believe me, I've tried. But I didn't know you could blow up the pole with a mine... Maybe we should try and find the guy who designed the level.
Dave Faller actually posted on MobyGames, answering a few common questions and providing other interesting information. And amazingly enough there's also a MG user who personally knew Andrew Amess.

The posts can be found here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wrath-of-earth/forums

That's something to start with at least. Unfortunately the source code (which was written in assembler) appears to have vanished somewhere along the line, at least according to Faller. Another member of the team might have kept a copy - although that's kind of a long shot.
Old 13-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
AlumiuN

Quote:
Dave Faller actually posted on MobyGames, answering a few common questions and providing other interesting information. And amazingly enough there's also a MG user who personally knew Andrew Amess.

The posts can be found here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wrath-of-earth/forums

That's something to start with at least. Unfortunately the source code (which was written in assembler) appears to have vanished somewhere along the line, at least according to Faller. Another member of the team might have kept a copy - although that's kind of a long shot.
Yeah, I saw that. I actually emailed Dave Faller at one point, asking if he still had the level editor and if he could remember the solution to that annoying wheel puzzle in the Shuttle Bay. I think he ignored me after the first email... But he must be an amazing coder - doing all of that in Assembler. Pity no-one ever heard of it, really. We could try and get hold of some of the other guys, like Flez or Ian Bridle.