Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
knechtodawas

Hi!

What I want to do:
Playing DOS games on my Compaq Armada 1750 (eg. Heretic, Hexen and Build engine games).

My system:
Pentium II 233, 192 MB RAM, ESS1860 onboard sound or Speedlink USB sound, Ati Rage Pro, Windows Me

My problem:
The digital sound effects of the games, especially all DOOM engine games, are really poor. They are dull and rustling all the time.

What I tried:
- playing the games under Windows Me with the onboard sound
- playing the games under Windows Me with the Speedlink USB sound
- playing the games under DOS (via patch) wit the onboard sound

All results sound identically.

What I ask:
What initiates this bad sound quality? My last hope was poor DOS, but it didn't help in any way. Probably my memory is so bad, that I have forgotten how poor the sound quality of Heretic and Co really was ;-). Has anyone an idea?

Another question which bothered me for years:
Does anyone know, how to start Redneck Rampage (Rides Again) without any stuttering? This game needs 32 MB RAM, but even whith 128 MB or more it frequently loads data from the HD. I recognized this on each PC i owned.

Old 23-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

About the sound - the soundcards on your computer are probably simply not compatible with any old standards that Ms-Dos had back then for the soundcards, probably also just lacking the Dos drivers for the soundcards you have, which would result in at least bad soundquality if a not-recognized soundcard at all. As for Windows ME - don't even try to run the Dos games in it just like that. Download VDMSound here and see if that helps.
About Redneck Rampage - forget it. I had all kinds of problems with that game myself, crashing every once in a time being the more harmless one.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 23-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
knechtodawas

Compatible sound cards:
Mh, I read that the ES1869 is a sound chip with a good DOS compatibility, although it is onboard.

Windows Me:
I know, that it is not the best way, to run DOS games diretly under Win Me. But some years ago I used ME on my desktop PC and didn't have any problems with my DOS games. Question: Are there any advantages of Win 98 compared to Win Me concerning DOS games (apart from the hidden DOS mode)?

VDMSound:
Does VDMSound work with Windows Me? It thought, it is only designed for NT/2000/XP.

Old 23-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

ESS soundcards are compatibile with DOS software - but only if you have proper drivers for them.

Try using a DOS bootdisk coupled with appropriate drivers.
Worst case solution, set up a second partition and configure your machine for a dual-system boot (the second OS being MS-DOS).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

I use the DOS drivers, you can download from ESSTECH.com. What would be the difference between starting DOS from a boot disk and starting DOS 8.0 (without booting Windows ME)?

Old 23-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try using the standalone version of DOS 7.1 and the sound drivers pre-included with the setup.
That worked for me, at least.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-10-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
tikbalang

where did you get dos 7.1?
tikbalang is offline                         Send a private message to tikbalang
Old 24-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #8

Okay, I got closer to the problem. If I increase the ingame sound volume, the sound issues begin to disappear. With high volume the sound is almost fine, but my eardrum revolts as I use earphones ;-). Probably I get a satisfying result by decreasing the volume in the Windos/DOS mixer and increasing the volume in the games to the max. I have later...

Strange: The messy sound occurs at Heretic, Doom and Quake, but not at Redneck Rampage.

Old 24-10-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
knechtodawas

This was me...

Old 24-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Can't tell you - it's a secret.
Besides, that place isn't there anymore.

-- Reed Richards