Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
typh0id

Talking Trying to Remember a Super Old Star Wars Game

Hey guys,

This may be useless since I probably don't have enough info to go off of, but I have, for some time now, been trying to track down a game I used to have when I was a little kid. It was a Star Wars game but I think it is unlikely that it was officially licensed. I don't even remember if it was called Star Wars.

The graphics were very simple (this would have been very early 80s). They may have even been text-character-based. I remember that the screen was black and the characters were red. The game simulated the final Death Star battle from A New Hope. You played as the rebel X-Wings, which I believe were just little x's and the Tie Fighters were little h's. I think there were like three stages and the final one had the Death Star.

I can't remember much else about it, save for that I loved playing it as a small boy. Also, we switched from a Tandy to an IBM-Compatible in the 80's as well so it could have been on either, but I seem to recall it being on the IBM.

One thing I know for sure though, is that it was NOT a Star Wars Arcade Game port.

I don't know if this rings any bells for anyone but myself, but if it does, please give me a shout here. I'd love to find it again.

Thanks!
typh0id is offline                         Send a private message to typh0id
Old 23-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Slightly reminded me Death Star Interceptor. Something like that?
Old 24-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
typh0id

That's definitely not it, exactly. But it's possible what I played was a port of that. What I played didn't have as many different modes as those screenshots would suggest, but the ones showing the Death Star in the corner DO remind me a lot of what I'm remembering. I don't think the graphics in mine were as good but we may be on the right track.

Thank you so much for showing me that. It gives me another direction to look.

UPDATE: I can't find any reference to that game existing outside of Commodore64 and ZX Spectrum. I'm wondering if what I had was some kind of homebrew PC port.

Last edited by typh0id; 24-03-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 26-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Let's try it from the different side. What existed on Tandy? How about The Force?
Old 30-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
typh0id

Definitely not that. There weren't any "3D" elements to it.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Aw. Well, I can remember also Ad Astra on Speccy, but I don't remember any Death Star in it.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I remember a game on PC where you first flied through a Death Star Tunnel, pretty much justa left-right scenario, which went for like 20 minutes, then you got maybe 3 shots on a Death Star. This part was made by the owner of the game/computer so not sure, and was done super-fast, like entering Z00l in Ghostbusters.Maybe the game had only 2 Death Stars in it, then an end card?

It looked a bit like Elite (white lines on black background).
Old 21-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
typh0id

Ah! I finally found it!

It's called XWing Fighter and it's an unofficial Star Wars game by a company called International PC Owners.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/xwing-fighter
Old 21-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #9
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by typh0id View Post

Ah! I finally found it!

It's called XWing Fighter and it's an unofficial Star Wars game by a company called International PC Owners.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/xwing-fighter
Glad you could remember the name of the game!

I know it is very, really frustrating that you cannot remember or find something memorable from the past... be it game, cartoon, movie, comics, etc. Well, in my case, unfortunately, no one remembered titles of some Comics series... Well... There is nothing I can do... *shrug*

And may the Force be with you!