Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-08-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
Himmler
Trollmaster General

This is a tutorial covering my method of coloring in Photoshop-it's posted at almost 6AM, i haven't slept all night and it is not done yet.The work doesn't look that good because it was made only to explain the coloring method in Photoshop.Comments are not welcome, because it is the method that i use and will use.If someone does not understant somethig or anything post a comment.

step none -the basic contour:we have here the contour of winnie the pooh floating on the water(or whatever)

The first step:in order to draw only in the contour and not ruin it we will select the magic wand tool

step 2:we select with the magic wand the faces that we need to color, to select multiple faces hold shift while selecting

step 3: choose your brush, I always use the chalk brush because smooth things make me vomit but u can choose whatever you want

step 4:we need to choos a color for the little pooh, that would be tan+gray(always use gray).

step 5:start spreading the color over the little honeybear

step 6:select a color a little bit darken and start the basic shading

step 7:after doing that choose a more darken color and apply it leaving some of the old shading where you think you should have the most darken spot.the lightning works like that: light>light+shadow>shadow>light+shadow. light+shadow..hmm didn't know how to put it in english

step 8: after doing that to the entire bear deselect it by clicking on the magic wand again and clicking on a selected spot, anywere.Now select his t-shirt(?) and put some green and make the same steps as you did on the bear.here it gets harder...we need to transmit the colors in order to tie the objects together. i made a little explaining scheme...hope you understand it

step 9: after finishing with his clothes select the bear again(now it will be a bit harder than the first time because you have mixed different colors) and mix the tan with a little green near the t-shirt and his thighs and legs need a tan mixed with a little red because of the water.

step 10: having this done it is time to move on to the next stage:adding more light to the little pooh-take the original tan from the pooh and then make it whiter, the next step click on brush mode and select soft light.now use the soft light for more effects on the bear.

that would be the end of the tutorial because the next steps are repetitive but it's not because i don't have the final pic done.If some of you followed my tutorial i hope he/she will post here his/her creation.

Good morning,
Himmler

The reference picture
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 19-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Personally, I think using channels is a much better technique for coloring line art cleanly in Photoshop, as it preserves the line integrity better.

Thanks for sharing the techniques for shading though, that's what I have the roughest time with coming up with a nice look. I usually use gradients, and it comes out really clean, but kind of flat in some cases.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 19-08-2005, 03:35 AM   #3
Himmler
Trollmaster General

I'm glad to help the generations .If you want a picture to look good you don't need it to look clean and soft ...hust like in oil painting..look at this artist and his sketches ..he uses a graphic tablet and photosop ...his works look amazing yet still not clean.Gradients are still a big pain in my abs .I prefer to do it all by myself...too bad i can't make the contours cause of the lack of tools.

as you can notice all my works look incredibly dirty..especially this one.
Old 19-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
taikara
Abandonia Homie

I might see if I can come up with a tutorial for using channels for coloring, I think you'll find it much better...

For example, this guy is really cool:

But because the lines are really thin in places, it's a little rough looking. Using channels would totally eliminate that issue, it would look just as nice as the thicker lines
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 19-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #5
Himmler
Trollmaster General

please try and make one so i can see if it will be better, although I might probably remain at my current technique because in the end the lines are supposed to be gone at all.i just need to work on my contrast untill then. k:

in the end(after i study hard and buy a graphic tablet) i hope to achieve this kind of result..of corse it's just a dream for the moment...(picture taken from http://www.goodbrush.com)